Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Is It Offensive or Funny to Lisa Landry?

OK. This is going to take some setting up. Because the one person I'm worried about offending with this needs a LOT of background. The rest of you who will see this on FB, know the way life is in the west, and will know what I'm talking about. But many might not get the slight, cultural inference that makes it funny in the rest of the country.

My friend, Lisa is converting to Jewish from Catholic for her husband. Which is more than my wife did for me (when we got married, Deb was/is a Mormon. I was a Presbyterian). Now? Neither one of us so much. I don't believe in any of it, and she's not been to church for ages.

But what I want to know, is where is the line of making fun, and causing grief, or really stepping on some toes. OK, here goes.

Living in Utah, you know that you have to run the gas out of your lawnmower every fall. If you don't, the stuff that's left, will leave a varnish on your carburetor. This will prevent it from starting in the spring. You do the same thing every spring with your snow blower.

Tonight, I took the, "turkey baister" I keep in the shed (oh, I see a HILLBILLY JOKE in THERE somewhere!) and after mowing the lawn to pick up the leaves the LAST time for this year, took all the gas I could get, searching every nook and cranny of the mowers gas tank, and put it into the gas can to use in the snow blower. Then, figuring the mower would run less than a minute, turned it on to run the gas out of the carburetor.

It ran for the entire hour and a half that my son and one of his friends and I were bagging leaves.

I don't claim to be a religious scholar. Hell, it took me three tries to SPELL, "Scholar". But I know a little about a lot.

And my first thought was, "Hanuka". A celebration, coming up next month, of having only one nights fuel for your lamp, and getting 8 days. That was a miracle. Eight days of light!

As a sociologist, I think THAT'S what I was thinking. But...

Being a smart ass, suburban, westerner, I also thought, "I have a Hanuka Lawnmower! I gave it one minute of fuel and it ran for 80. Is this a miracle? Living here in Utah, I have no one to ask. All the kids I went to school with who were named, Leavitt, were Mormons!"

Now, is that sacrilege, or just a funny? I mean no offense. I'm just drawing cultural references that being in Utah? Might be too far apart.

Please, comment. I need to know where the line is.

I kidded, Lisa about, "Kosher/Cajun food" I know she can take a joke. But does the, Haunuka joke cross the line?

1 comment:

  1. Forgott to say that the part about all the kids I went school in Utah with named Leavitt WERE actually Mormons. THAT was not a joke. You'd have to be from Utah to get that.

    ReplyDelete