Sunday, February 13, 2011

Do I Know You? Or, Should I?

OK, here's a question I need answered. Where do you draw the line on Facebook friends? I mean, who do you, "friend" or not?

I just friended a woman who I knew in high school. I've know her and her sister since Jr. High school. One of these women, I actually took out a couple of times. The older of the sisters.

But now, FB is telling me I should, "Friend" her husband. Well by all accounts, he's a great guy, but I've never really, MET him. I don't know what he does for a living. We have nothing in common. But hey, I want to be friendly. I'm not on FB to get a bunch of friends, I'm on to connect with old friends.

So if I DO friend him, even though we have nothing in common except his wife, is that weird? Will he think that I'm trying to get close to his wife even though we're Friends on FB because we went to school together, that I have some other desire, like getting closer to his wife?

Because I don't.

Oh, man. This is getting tough. I WANT to connect with my old high school friends since I spent 20+ years trying to stay UNDERCOVER because of my job. But now, how do I treat their husbands and wives I've never met?

"How do you do? I knew your spouse 40 years ago. Would you like to be friends?" That's weird. Isn't it?

My friend told me to go ahead and, "Friend" her husband because he rarely goes on FB. But then, again, why would I do that? We have nothing in common except his wife.

And it's not like you think. Me and his wife were not THAT close. We went out a couple of times. I took her to a Black Oak Arkansas Concert. I like to think I was a Gentleman, and she was a total Lady. So nothing happened.

But still. Makes me feel weird.

I guess we can all figure this out together. Eventually.

I love not having to be undercover anymore. But that being said, I don't always know the rules of polite society any more. I'm still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment