Sunday, May 19, 2013

Here's The Deal With Owning A Muscle Car...

The, "Bitchin' Camaro" has a Corvette engine in it.  It's 6.2 Liters which converts to roughly 380 Cubic Inches.  It sports 406 Break Horse Power with the automatic transmission.  It would be 426 BHP with the stick, but I'm lazy at my age so I bought the automatic.

This thing is so tightly strung that every bump in the city feels like it will shake your teeth out.  It's a race car.  With air conditioning.  No doubt about it, it is a RACE CAR!  The suspension is stiffer than a wedding prick!

I have the Audi for a daily driver, and for long trips.  It's so much more comfortable to be driving.  But if you want a, "toy" car?  Something to drive just for shits and giggles?  I highly recommend the Camaro.  It's faster than your thoughts about the hot chick who checks you out when you buy a sandwich at Crown Burger.

It's bigger than my friend Phil's Porsche, so I can sit in it.  Comfortably.  And every where I go in it, I get treated like I'm driving the Bat Mobile.

Today, we stopped at a rest stop on the way home and a guy in a nice looking Mustang GT who has stopped to have a smoke, gave me a thumb's up as I drove out past HIS car!

A little while after I bought it, a guy in a mini van actually leaned out his window and did the two handed, "I'm not worthy" wave when I turned a corner around him.

I didn't buy the car in an effort to GET attention.  But it sure seems to GET attention where ever I go.  Every time I go get gas at Costco, guys from other gas pumps come over and want to talk about the car. 

Women?  Not so much.  They will just look at me and say, "That's a really pretty car."  To which I just say, "Thank you.  It's fun to drive."  I mean, what else can I say?

"Hey, baby, you're hot for the car?  You want to go for a ride?"  Nope.  I'm not that guy.

But my friend, Deb, who I've known since we were 8 years old loves the Camaro.  I call her, "My Hippie Girlfriend" cause she hasn't changed since the 70's.  And she loves my wife.

She loves it when we go to lunch and I pick her up in the Camaro.  She likes me to floor it, cause she says it makes her feel skinny again!  That's some funny shit.  That's a centrifugal force joke.  And that's funny, I don't care who you are.

And if you don't know what centrifugal force is?  My blog is way over your head.

I have owned the muscle car since March of 2010 when they first brought back the Camaro.  Deb didn't want to travel in it, cause she only rode in it in the city where it's, "bumpy".  We haven't taken it any farther away than Park City for lunch with Phil and Jami in their Boxster.

Well, this weekend might have changed her mind.  We took it to Wendover to see Ron White and have dinner with our friends, Allie and Mark because it was Allie's birthday.

And that sucker runs pretty smooth at about 85 on a good, smooth highway.  And with the ground effects package, it planes out REAL nice at about 100 MPH.

So I can see us taking the Camaro to see our friend Lisa the comedian in Denver or Las Vegas, or to the Jimmy Buffett show in Vegas in October, since much of the highway between here and there is 80 MPH, so that means I can lock in at about 90 and be good.

And when you drive a muscle car?  And you have to pass a truck, or someone going slow and shoot the gap?  And you have 400 BHP?  You can DO THAT SHIT!  You just put your foot on the floor, and you go from 75 to 120 in a HEARTBEAT!  It is literally, THAT fast.  If you didn't have a head rest?  You would have a whiplash. 

And I know about the tires.  "Z" rated.  "Speed" rated.  Pierelli.  I know that's misspelled, but it's what's on the car, and it's really my only choice.  You don't buy this car to put tires that are rated for 80 thousand miles like you would put on your mom's Buick.  It just wouldn't be worth having the car, if it was not going to perform like it should, would it?  Of course not.

So driving fast is a good thing.  Driving REALLY fast is a an extra good thing.  Hey, if I get caught?  I'll pay the ticket.  But the truth be known?  With the license plate I have (EXCOP) I don't think I'm going to get written up.  Regular folks think that Cops look after each other and they get pissed about it.  But the truth be known?  We do.

Sorry regular folks.  Live with it.

So now that I have more than 10K miles on the original tires, I guess I've got to start shopping for tires.  I love it.  I love shopping for tires.

And I love my Muscle car.  Yeah, it's an expensive, "toy".  My wife doesn't like to ride in it around town.  And you have to buy Premium gas (but I have to do that for the Audi, too.  So what the fuck?). 

Having a Muscle Car is awesome.  I only have ONE.  And I love it.  But it's not for everyone.  And it should NOT be your only car.  Cause it's not real practical.  The trunk is shit, and the back seat is a joke.

But other than that?  I LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment