Thursday, May 30, 2013

Why Is, "Stand Up" Such A, "Saussage Fest"!?

If I was a woman, I'd be pissed.  Hey, I'm a MAN and I'm pissed!

I know that stand up comedy has always been a male dominated job.  From Bob Hope to Zane Cook and, Nick Swardson, guys who were NOT funny got a LOT more Movie/radio/TV/satellite radio time than the women comics.

And I know stand up is a hard job.  Cause after all, if it was easy?  Zane Cook and Nick Swardson  would STILL be doing it.

As it is?  Zane is wishing there was just ONE more, Jessica Simpson movie they needed him for in the works.   And Nick is wishing, "Reno 911" was still on the air, and he could get a couple more seasons of being the Gay, male, prostitute standing in front of, "Taco's, Taco's, Taco's, Taco's" on that show!

They canceled his series on, Comedy Central faster than, "Crodmandoon And The Flaming Sword Of Fire".  Now THAT has to be a record.

The comedy hall of fame is still started with that, stuck around too long, not funny in the end, Bob Hope.  But he earned his place.

No one will question Bill Cosby's place in the comedy pantheon.  Those were the first albums my mother gave me as a kid in the 60's.

George Carlin is the undisputed king, or stand up comedy.  No one can touch him.

Richard Pryor, Rodney Dangerfield, Eddie Murphy?  Oh, no question, RIGHT there!  Same league.  No one can shit on these guys.

Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, David Letterman, they all EARNED their place in late night TV by being GREAT stand up comedians first.  No question.

Didn't work out so well for Dick Cavett, or Joey Bishop.  Or, Aresinio Hall, or, Chevy Chase, or countless others!

So here's the deal.  If someone who was a short lived,  nominal comedian like, Flip Wilson, and a guy who wasn't EVEN a comedian, like Dean Martin, could get a show on network TV?  Why is Carol Burnett the only WOMAN who could do the same thing?

Why have not Mom's Mabley, Joan Rivers, and Rita Rudner not got their own shows.

Well with, Mom's, it's obvious.  She was MOSTLY famous BEFORE TV.  And she's WAY dead. Just seeing if you were paying attention.

Joan Rivers should have taken over, The Tonight Show from Johnny.  But she pissed him off.

Rita Rudner is still filling houses in Las Vegas, even though she hasn't been on TV like HBO since the 1990's.

But tonight, (and truth be know, a lot of time since my friend released her album) I have been listening to, Comedy Central Radio and Raw Dog Comedy on Siriusxm.  Just hoping that they will play her stuff.

A few summers ago, when my friend, Kelly McGuire was here to do a concert in the back yard, I told him, "I heard, Boat In Belize on Radio Margaritaville yesterday!"  And he said, "Great!  THAT'S another, $1.40!"

He was being a smart ass, but still.  It has to do a guy good to know he's getting airplay on siriusxm!

The only woman I have heard on siriusxm is, Amy Shumer.  I really like, Amy Shumer.  She is SO funny.  But I have a feeling that since Comedy Central just gave her a SHOW?  That might be why she's the only WOMAN they are playing.

All the women out there who not only LIKE women comedians, but who ARE women comedians, need to rise up and get their place.

I'm in for some money to put together another, "Women Of The Night" on HBO.  What is that web site you can post a project and people contribute?  Just sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment