Saturday, May 22, 2010

Child of the 70's, with a child who likes the 70's

My son and I went to, Mr. Mac to buy a couple of sport coats last weekend. I got him some chackie's, too (and trust me, I've tried to spell those pants every why I know how, and I know it's wrong, but I can't even get the spell checker to help me. I'm sorry). We travel enough that some of the nicer restaurant's require, "Gentlemen to wear jackets", if not a tie. And he's old enough now, at 14 that he can't get away with slacks and a shirt with a collar. And we're going to be in Boston in a few weeks, and I hope to find one of those kind of restaurant's while we are there.

While waiting for him to try on his pants, I see that they sell, Elisha Cologne! No shit? That stuff is still around? Wow! That stuff defines the years guys my age were in high school. That was the smell of the 70's until it was replaced by, Jovan's Musk in the late 70's. And I thought both of those products went away a long time ago.

Elisha was grocery store cologne! Slightly more hip than your dad's, Brut, or Aqua Velva! If you really wanted to be daring, you bought, English Leather, or, Hi Karate. Both, also available at your local Skaggs Drug Store.

I told this to my son, and let him smell it. His response? "I like that. You gonna buy me some?"

At $25 a bottle, now? No.

And for a half an hour after I handled the bottle, my hands smelled like, Al Serrano's Chevy in 1976!

Phil and Chuck Markham's mom worked at, Aurbach's when we were in high school. She turned us onto a cologne called, Lucirella, or Lucarella, I can't remember for sure. But it was awesome. Always got the girls interested. And I've never been able to find it again. If anyone knows anything about this stuff, Phil and I are interested in getting some more to try it out on our wives, so call me.

Danny has long hair, and likes the smell of the 70's.

Then we drive over to Costco, and I listen to Outlaw Country on the satellite radio, and they play, Johnny Cash's, "Ring Of Fire". Danny starts singing right along, never missing a beat.

Technically, this is a 60's song, but it was still popular in the 70's, (Cowjazz sang it at, Judd's Frontier Lounge, an if you don't know what that means, I'll tell you some stories some time) and got a lot of radio air play.

I asked him, "You like, Johnny Cash?" He said, "I like THIS song. I've heard it a lot".

I should have seen this coming when he was in 5th grade, and started taking off with my, Bob Marley CD's.

We were at the, La Frontera restaurant in Sugar House years ago, and someone played, "Buffalo Soldier" on the juke box, and he was singing along when a big, biker type guy across the isle leaned over and said to him, "You know, Bob Marley?" Danny said, "Yeah. I take my dad's CD's". The guy was laughing really hard when he left. like seeing a 12 year old fluent in, "Marley" was the funniest thing he's ever seen.

Tonight, he's playing WWII, first person shooters on line with his buddies from the soccer team. I walk back into the computer room and I hear, "Crazy Train" by, Black Sabbath blasting. Ozzie at his best.

I walked out a minute or two later, and said to him, "Was, "Crazy Train" background to the game, or are you playing it on something else?"

He holds up his I Touch without even looking at me, and doesn't miss a beat playing with his buddies.

Have I created a monster who's going to steal away my retro Camaro? Or saved a child from the insipid, and dumbed down music that is Pop Music now (and WAS, for ever. The 70's, the 80's were the worst, and the 90's). Time will tell.

But I have to admit this. His nose might be off, but his ear's are AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment