Thursday, September 16, 2010

Are we all on the same page?

Tonight my neighbor and his girlfriend came over to watch some college football (The Big East and the ACC stink on ice, by the way) and after the game, we're watching, Jon Stewart. He's making his big, "Announcement", kicking sand in, Glenn Beck's face. It's hilarious stuff. He's talking about the rally on, The National Mall on October 30.

My neighbor says to me, "The National Mall. Is that the one in Minnesota?"

"No! It's the space between the Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol. The reflecting pool? The Washington Monument? You've never heard of this?"

He says, "Well, how would I know? I don't shop!"

From, The American Heritage Dictionary Of The English Language: mall (mol, mal) n. 1. A shady public walk or promenade...

Now, I know we all have different experiences in life, but shouldn't we all be speaking the same language? This man, who I know and love, and who is the best neighbor you could ever ask for had no idea that a, "Mall" could be anything but a shopping center.

I'm leaving for two weeks out of the country tomorrow afternoon (and to anyone using FB to pick burglary opportunity's like back east? My dog, children, and security system are all STAYING in this country. So don't even think about it) and I'm kind of going to enjoy being out of the loop. I won't have a computer. Won't watch American TV. Just going to see how people live in Greece and Paris. I've been to Paris and I like it there.

I think I'll see if I can do some shopping at the National Mall in Greece.

No comments:

Post a Comment