Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I WILL shoot you!

It's 12:30 at night on a Tuesday. I live right next to the Jordan River. In the nine years I've lived here, I've heard sirens, police radios, gun shots, and helicopters. All in my back yard.

I'm OK with it, and I've learned to figure it out. If the helicopters are moving north/south and back and forth, someone fell in the river, or is, "wanted" by the Police and hiding on, "The Parkway". If they just go over east/west, either direction, it's the, "Para-magic's" saving someones life.

If my dog is barking at the doors? Either down here in the basement, or upstairs? I might have a problem of some kind in my back yard. And with all the stuff that happens in the Parkway? I listen to my dog.

Tonight, she went off at 1230. I have a HUGE gun safe full of guns. I was a Cop, after all. So I went and got the huge assed, Ruger .357 I always keep loaded in the gun safe, and went upstairs to make sure my family was safe. Took the big flashlight outside, checked the backyard. Nothing.

I walked all the way around the house, saw nothing out of order, but the dog was still nervous. I trust her. So I made sure all the doors were locked, and then came back here. She's down here next to me now. Asleep. So what ever set her off is gone. The gun is back in the safe (but, yes I have one upstairs too. I WAS a Cop remember? And a PO, to boot. Lot's of people hate me. I'm prepared for that. Always. Wish I could leave it behind, but I can't so I do the best I can).

I love the Parkway, I love where I live. But sometimes, I wish I lived in some less interesting neighborhood. So I didn't have to be on guard all the time.

Maybe it's just me. I'm paranoid from working as a Cop for so long. Probably. But you feel what you feel, and you have to be careful. Well, I have to be careful.

I should have been an accountant. Or bus driver. I'll have this fear all my life. But the Republicans took away our health care for doing the job. Go figure.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great neighborhood. lol. Glad you're prepared!

    ReplyDelete