Friday, March 25, 2011

Best Buy. Worst Service.

People will tell you that money can't buy you happiness, and to an extent, that's true. But one thing that having money will do, is allow you to not have to deal with bullshit. When you have some money, and you want something, you don't have to go to the lowest bidder, or someone who claims to be the only game in town.

Me and my platinum Visa card walked out of the Best Buy in Murray today and it cost THEM $1000.

I decided a few months ago, that as much as we like to travel, I needed an iPad. I wanted something I could do email, FB, blogging, put pictures on, check the Internet, listen to satellite radio and take my other music with me on, and I didn't necessarily need a lap top. We have one, and it's big, and heavy.

When we were in Greece in September, John Saltas' iPad was much more efficient and effective at getting information than anyone in the groups lap top. So I decided this was the way to go.

And I held off because I heard about the new iPad 2 coming out, so I waited until today to buy one. Knowing that it would take a few weeks to get it, I figured if I did it today, I could have it before we went to Mexico in May.

So today, I went to Best Buy and stood in their Apple section for what seemed like forever, before one of their sales people came and ask if they could help me. When I told them that I wanted to buy an iPad 2, a wireless keyboard and everything else I'd need to travel with it, I was told that they didn't have any.

I knew that. I read newspapers. I watch television. I want to buy one and pick it up when it comes in. I'm willing to PAY for it NOW, and PICK IT UP, LATER. I understand that they sold out in a matter of minutes the day they went on sale.

I was told that this was not possible. That they would be getting some in almost every day, and if I came in every morning, when they had one, they would be happy to sell it to me. But they wouldn't let me BUY one and call me when it came in. WTF?

I have money burning a hole in my pocket and you are a retailer and you WON'T take it? You want me to get up every morning, and drive to your store in hopes that you will allow me the privilege of giving you my money if you happen to have what I want that day? WTF?

I can't pick my color, or the features I want. You just want me to show up every morning, hoping that what you have been shipped will meet my needs, and then you might take my money? WTF? Really? This is how you got to be the biggest retailer of electronics in the whole country?

They were quite firm in their stance. So I left. I don't want to deal with people who won't deal with me.

Maybe wanting to spend a measly $1000 doesn't get their attention any more. But several years ago, when my TV went out during college football season, I went in there and picked out a nice plasma and a DVD player to go with it and with delivery and installation, it came to about $5K. They told me they would deliver it next week. I told them if they couldn't deliver and install it TODAY, I wouldn't buy it. Several hasty phone calls were made by management, and I had my TV that afternoon. Today? They weren't so accommodating.

My friend, Phil happened to call me about the time I was going to drive out of the parking lot, and he told me about a place I didn't know about. simply-mac is located at 6936 South Park Center Drive in Cottonwood Heights. I drove out there, and it turned out to be a good idea.

I walked in the door, was greeted by a nice young man named, Matt. Told him what I wanted and what I wanted it for. He showed me my options, took my order, told me it would probably be about two weeks before I could pick up the machine, but assured me I would have it before I go to Mexico in May, took my money and my phone number and told me he would call me when it arrived. $978.70 later I had purchased exactly what I wanted, and I didn't have to spent the next three or four weeks showing up at, Best Buy hoping they would get in something that would meet my expectations that day, and let me buy it.

And when I told him what I wanted it for, he showed me a cool little deal called, "Chill Pill" speakers that let the iPad give off sound that can fill a room, instead of just the tinny sound of the original speakers. So thanks to, Best Buy's inflexible policy and poor customer service, I will be sitting on Playa Norta on Isla Mujeres in about six weeks, listening to, Radio Margaritavile on satellite radio on the Internet with my new iPad. Sending you all pictures and email and FB notes.

So the bottom line is, if you want an iPad, you can get it for the same price at simply-mac as you can at, Best Buy and not have to put up with bullshit. You don't have to be rich to get good service. You just have to refuse to accept poor service. And know where to go to get good service.

No comments:

Post a Comment