Sunday, August 14, 2011

Nice Day After A Bad Week.

I love Sundays.  Since I gave up on religion and the NFL, it's the one day when I can pretty much do whatever I want.  My son is usually so worn out from soccer the day before, he sleeps late and crawls into the, "Man Cave" that he's created in the basement and plays video games on line with is buddies.

It's the day my wife likes to go to the mall or the spa for a massage, and my daughter is more than happy to take her.

When the weather is nice, I can take the Camaro out for a drive, listen to, Sunday Sagebrush Serenade on KRCL (which today was AWFUL!  Phil wasn't there, and who ever was doing the show turned it into, The Radical, Feminist, Lesbian, Girl Singer Show!  Look, I like, K.D. Lang A LOT!  I'm totally Gay supportive, I AM a feminist!  But I don't tune into this show to hear Stevie Wonder, and the chick with the nose ring who wants to know, "What If God Was One Of Us"? and ten other female singers I have never heard of.  I tune in for Robert Earl Keen and Nancy Griffith!  So get with it!).  When it's bad, I can sit in front of the fire and read the Trib.

Lately, meaning since I built the, "garage ma-haul" a few years ago, Sunday has turned into a second, "Dog Day".  The boys come over, bring the dogs, and we smoke cigars in the back yard when it's warm, and in the garage when it's cold.

But today, I was on my own.  The, "usual suspects" were scattered to the wind.  Golf, boats, family trips to Huntsville.  Danny is in Las Vegas.  Meagan took Deb to go shopping.  I told them that whatever they wanted me to burn on the Weber, I would.  As long as I didn't have to go buy it.

Funny story about Danny and Las Vegas.  He's down there with his friend, Andrew Ho.  The Ho family is Chinese.  Hence the name, Ho.  They asked Danny to go with them as they are meeting some family who lives in California there and spending a few days just enjoying the sun, and goofing off.  He's part of the Ho family for the next four days.

None of the guys on the soccer team call Andrew, Andrew.  They all call him, Ho.  So, for the next four days, my son is a Vegas Ho.  Insert rim shot here.

So, I went out in the back yard in the best home town in the whole world, set up my satellite radio, put my feet up and spent the afternoon listening to, Radio Margaritaville, enjoying good whiskey, a good cigar and the company of my dog, while watching the birds clean out my feeder.

Just me, Jimmy Buffett, an 11 year old Black Lab, the finches, the Red Winged Blackbirds and my own thoughts.  You could do worse.

The Tinder Box got in a new cigar this week.  And I'm here to tell you that a, G.R. Trabacalares Unides Gran Habano, Corojo #5 from Honduras in what I guess to be a Gran Corona or smaller Churchill size, is a great smoke and it WILL last THREE HOURS!  Three hour cigars are rare, indeed.

At the end of the day, I grilled some steaks and it was a good day.  Sometimes, you just need to have a day to do nothing.  And today?  I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment