Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Letter To The Editor. Mostly Positive, Some Really Silly.

Flags On The 24th.  That was what the Trib titled my letter to the editor that appeared in this morning's paper.  I got a couple of positive feedback's on FB from folks who, "got it".  No negatives.

But go to the Trib's web site, go to, Opinion then, Letters, and read the comments.  Wow.

They were mostly positive.  MOST people who bother to read the letters section in the local paper are well educated, and want to be informed.  They get it.  They knew that I wasn't hating America, or Mormons, or, Pioneer Day.

Just pointing out the fact that the biggest holiday in UTAH, is associated with a MORMON event which commemorates the Mormons fleeing the United States to illegally enter, what at the time, was Mexico.  And now, most of them would kill to keep Mexicans out of THEIR state.

And on top of it, they have the local Boy Scouts, sponsored in the most part, by Mormon congregations, put AMERICAN flags in front of their houses to commemorate this, and it's NOT an AMERICAN holiday.  It's a MORMON holiday.  You could stretch it just a bit and call it a UTAH holiday, but my family came over the plains on United Airlines in the 60's.  1960's.  No one I knew until I got married to a Mormon from California, had THAT history.  So it's not really MY holiday.

I think that's hilarious!  The irony just drips off this!  Most people got it.  But not all.

One woman in Utah County declared that she was glad I didn't live in HER Spanish Fork neighborhood!  I must hate seeing the American flag!  Because she puts one up every day and no one complains.

Please.  You could put up a burning Klan cross in Utah County and if you put a picture of Obama on it, no would complain about that, either.

She suggested that I was inferring that Mormons in Utah should fly the Mexican flag since they came there/here/whatever, I really couldn't figure it out.

The next commenter, obviously from Utah County, too, said, "Was he saying we should fly the Mexican flag?"

Yep, that's exactly what I meant.  I know they don't allow books in Utah County, but if you can find a Dictionary?  Look up sarcasm, and irony.

But a day apart.  I don't want your head to explode.

So, I had a little fun with them.  I thought I could get in there as, "exPO" which I signed into their new web site as, but no.  They had me listed as my alter ego.   The Gonzo PO.  After jumping through some hoops, I got to go in and comment.

I think I nailed it.  And if I didn't, and they think my attempt at humor/sarcasm/irony is a personal assault?  Fuck em.  They don't get it.  Never will.

These people, and I'm surprised that they read the Trib, frankly, are the same dummies who make $10 and hour, have no health insurance, and still vote for Republicans.  Because they still believe the bullshit line that if we DON'T tax the rich, the money will trickle down to them.  That Democrats want to take their guns.  And that the Republicans have ANY intention of trying to abolish abortion.

No, no they don't.  They could have at any point the last 35 years if they really wanted to.  But they need you to think they are still in the fight to do so, so you will keep voting for them, and giving them your money.

So, if you hated my letter?  You have no sense of humor or irony.  Or you're just dumb.

If you liked it?  Thank you.  You get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment