Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hoggers, Hooters, Hillbillys! Oh, My!

I like to say I don't watch, "reality" shows. I've never seen, Survivor, American Idol, or, Dancing With The Stars, and I don't plan to watch any of them.

But the truth is, the longest running, "reality" show of all is, COPS, and I've been hooked on it since it debuted in 1988, about the time I first became a Cop myself. And I watch all of the variations on that theme every chance I get, Vegas Jail House (been there a FEW times. Yes, I was working), Jail, Police POV, Vegas Strip (been there a few times too. No, NOT working), and, Police Women of (Broward County, Phoenix, Cincinnati, what have you). I love, Mandy from Cincinnati. She looks like one of the girls from the, Addicted To Love video from back in the 80's.

Before she was born, no doubt.

But there has been born of recent years a new type of reality show. Pawn Stars. Storage Wars. Billy The Exterminator. And I find them all interesting. They show regular folks doing their everyday jobs, just like, Cops does. But with the exception of poor, Billy, the jobs won't kill you.

And the newest ones, are about people in the south who hunt wild hogs. Fascinating stuff, this.

When I was in college, and working at, Zinik's Sporting Goods in the Fashion Place Mall we sold guns. The standard, run of the mill, lever action, repeating, carbine rifle was the Winchester model 94, .30/30. You could shoot deer with it if you were 16 years old and it wouldn't knock you on your ass, but it had plenty of knock down. It didn't need a scope because it was not a real, long range, player, but you could put one on it. And it was cheap.

It came chambered for .30/30, .357, and even .44 Magnum.

It was a very versatile gun. But one day, we get a couple of guns of this verity in a caliber I did not recognize. I wish I could remember what it was, but it was almost a .50 cal. size cartridge. Huge.

I asked the Winchester guy the next time he came in, what the heck that was for? He told me that in the south, they were being over run with wild hogs. And the .30/30 wasn't stopping them, so they came up with this new gun.

OK, The University of Arkansas' mascot was the, Razorback Hog, and I knew people hunted them down there.

Turns out I had no idea.

When Spain still owned Florida, they imported what were called, Russian Hogs as livestock. They were not native to Florida, or even, Spain, being from, Russia. But they thrived in the south, and were a good source of meat. But it didn't take long for them to get loose, get wild, and become a problem.

I watched a documentary a few years ago about this problem in the south. Seems it's worse now than even in the 70's (isn't everything?). These creatures tear up the land, ruin crops, will kill livestock and threaten, and even attack, people.

When Deb and I were in Louisiana a few years ago for the Sugar Bowl Game, we took a, Swamp Tour one day. North across Lake Pontchartrain from NOLA, in Slidel. And the tour guide told  us about his problems getting a 600 pound, "Russian Hog" out of the Bayou after you shot it.

Well, now there is a whole bunch of shows about killing these hogs.  And it seems that if you are a woman who kills hogs?  You have to have amazing breasts

Crystal "Pistol" Campbell on,  American Hoggers has tits that would, it appears, stop a bullet, and the producers make sure the girl is in the tightest t-shirt you have ever seen every week.

The show that came on next featured two women who are willing, it appears, to try and capture these hogs. 

They had no guns.  But they both had enormous breasts.  I'm not getting the connection between hogs and hooters, but it appears to be necessary in both shows.
.
And from what I know about these animals is that they are ruthless, have up to five inch tusks that are razor sharp, can be as big as 600 pounds.  So, why would you want to CAPTURE them instead of KILL them?

It appears from what they are saying, they donate the meat from these animals, but that still does not explain why you have to, "hog tie" it and take it out of the back country on a tractor before you shoot it.  Do they think the meat will last longer?  I'm just asking.

I guess it wouldn't make for a very interesting show if you just showed women with attractive breasts shooting guns every week.  But I'm sure somewhere out there, you could find a web site dedicated to just such and activity.  Leave you credit card number, and use your virus protection.

I'm pretty sure that when A&E got it's start, it stood for Arts and Entertainment.  Now?  I'm not so sure.

I guess the next evolution of reality TV is for Billy The Exterminator to get breast implants and start pawning stuff he's killed in storage sheds.  Makes perfect sense to me.










































































1

No comments:

Post a Comment