Wednesday, April 3, 2013

RIP Civility

Maybe I only notice this cause I was a Sociology Major.  So I kind of see behavior in, "groups".  Groups of cooks, groups of a race, groups of a religion, I tend to generalize behavior I have observed to each group I see it in.

But I've noticed that in our society in general, no matter what subgroups you belong to?  No one has an, "Internal Rear View Mirror" any more.  People are so focused on what is right in front of them, and what is bringing them satisfaction of some kind at the moment, that they don't give, to quote, Kurt Vonnegut, "A flying fuck at a rolling donut" about how their behavior affects anyone else around them!

You are on your cell phone in the left lane, and going ten miles an hour under the speed limit?  And there is a line of cars behind you a mile long?  So what?  Can't you people see I'm on the phone?

Or you're old and won't drive fast in your Toyota Camry, and you won't get out of the left lane?  Fuck you!  I'm going the SPEED LIMIT!  Go around on the right.

Well no one made YOU the speed limit Sheriff, and if I had to pass you on YOUR right?  YOU are in the WRONG lane, not me.

You are old and still write checks, but you wait until the checker at Harmon's has processed your entire shopping cart before you START to write out your check?  You're an asshole.

Tonight, The Blind Lady and I went to a concert at, The State Room.  Best place in town to see a show.  And some dick, walked down the isle with his cell phone/video camera and stood right in front of us, and recorded the on cour, so we couldn't see it.  Despite the fact that there were numerous signs in the venue that said do not use flash photography, and video recording is NOT allowed!  And when they introduced Robert Earl Keen, the introduction told people to NOT do what he was DOING!

So not only did he not care about the people he was blocking from the show?  He was ignoring the signs and the rules of the place!  How is this OK? 

We're on the, "Do Not Call List" and yet, our land line gets at least two calls a day from telemarketers.  Congress passed a law mandating that commercials could not be LOUD effective last December, but no one is complying.  I have TWO, "No Soliciting" signs on my front porch and front door and I STILL get people who ignore it trying to sell me everything from steaks, to lawn care, to fruit, to their dumb ass religion!

What have we come to in this country that no one listens to other people?  No one thinks about how their behavior effects others.  No one CARES about others feelings, or how their behavior will effect others.

A few years ago, after I bought the Camaro, I passed a guy in a pickup truck, going half the speed limit with the truck full of furniture.  It was in a passing zone, and I understood he didn't want to spill his load.  I get it.  As I went around him, he sped up, at the risk of his own belongings, and tried to cut me off, then yelled at me at the next stop light!  How is THAT an act of war?  I didn't, "disrespect" him, I just passed him.  In a passing zone.  Cause he was slow.  Which is why we HAVE passing zones!

I'm going to go out on a limb hear, and join a group I hate, the NRA, and suggest we adopt their attitude.  Everyone should carry a gun, and when you get treated with uncivil behavior?  You shoot the motherfucker.

You stand in front of me at a concert?  Bullet in the back of the head.  You drive too slow in the fast lane?  I'll quote, David Wilcox:  "I flashed my lights, I blew my horn.  I have to consider him warned.  So I took out my gun, and I blew him away!"

I think the NRA might be onto something here.  If everyone had a gun at all times, and could just shoot people who pissed them off?  I imagine people's behavior would improve a LOT!

I don't think we should return to Victorian Times.  But is it too much to ask that people just consider how their actions effect everyone around them?  I don't think paying attention is too much to ask to be a member of this society.

And Republicans in Congress?  I'm talking to YOU, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment