Monday, April 8, 2013

Why Medical Care Is Outragous In This Country.

I ended up in the emergency room for a nose bleed that wouldn't quit this afternoon.  And I didn't get home until nine o'clock at night.  This is only the second time this has happened in my life.

I've had nose problems all winter.  Got it treated in a ENT's office last week.  Guess it didn't work.

Tonight, the doc in the ER opens this package of equipment, all of it metal, that has a tool to open your nostril so he can see in there, long tweezers, scissors and a couple of other things.  And starts working on me.

The bottom line, the cauterization did NOT work, so I now have a sponge of some sort, a, "nose tampon" that I have to leave in there for three days, and I'm on antibiotics cause my left sinus can't drain, so I can get an infection.

When they finally tell me I can go home, the nurse is cleaning up and I asked her, "You don't throw those tools away do you?  They're metal.  Don't you put them in an autoclave?"

She says, "No, they get thrown out.  You can take them home if you want.  They used to use ones we kept, but they don't any more."

Yeah, I need a nostril, "opener" on a regular basis.  I guess I should have taken the scissors and the long tweezers, I probably could have used those at some point.  After all, I'm paying for them!

Why do we do things like that in this country?  It's wasteful, and it's expensive, and we have the technology to make that equipment clean and available for the next guy with a bloody nose!  But it's better for medical equipment makers to sell the same shit over and over again!

It's not better for the patients.  It's more expensive for the hospitals, and this is where you would think that there would be some resistance to the whole thing, it's more expensive for The Insurance Companies!  It makes no sense.

Even the nurse couldn't explain it.  This stupidity benefits no one but guys who make expensive, disposable, medical equipment!  Even in Cuba, they are smarter than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment