Tuesday, December 7, 2010

An Economics Lesson For The Income Challenged

Today, President Obama, "compromised" with Republicans and kept the tax cuts not only for the middle class, but for the richest 2% of all Americans. Those that make more than $250,000.00 a year. $250K a year? Wow.

Since I retired in 2006, I have spent $250K of the VAST amount of money my father left me, which was almost $1 Million. No, that was NOT enough to be charged an inheritance tax, on.

To show for it I have bought a $20K time share (paid cash for that), bought a brand new 2006 Audi A6 with ALL the bells and whistles so we could travel. Built a $30K garage for the new Camaro I bought last spring ($43K SS, topped it out with ground effects and performance exhaust). Deb says I built it just to put in the wood stove and give me and my friends someplace to smoke cigars in the winter. She might be right since I built it before I bought the car.

Taken my kids to Paris for a week. My wife and I just made our third trip there. Spent two weeks in Greece with some friends. Went to Belize two years in a row just to spend three nights one week hanging out in a bar over the water and listen to, Jerry Jeff Walker play for about 200 fans and spend a night having drinks with him and his wife, Susan. She's a doll. Did some snorkeling and sight seeing, too.

Last winter, Spent a week in Grenada just because we liked it there on a cruise a few years ago.

And I won't even go into detail on the cruises, trips to Cuba, England, Mexico, Canada we've made. Taken the kids to a Major League Baseball Game every summer since I retired. Minneapolis, Washington DC, New York, Chicago, Boston. Spent a week in every one of them. Even took them to see Jimmy Buffett in Boston Last summer.

Oh, Deb and I go to THAT show in Las Vegas EVER year since 2001.

And to do this, I have spent just under $250K over all these years. I've lost more money because the value of my stocks went down when, "W" destroyed the economy than I have lost on all the stuff I just told you I BOUGHT!

I'm not getting a tax break. Because even though I don't MAKE, $250K a year, and I've had a HELL of a GOOD time SPENDING $240K over six years, doing all the stuff I just told you about, I'm NOT RICH ENOUGH TO QUALIFY FOR THAT TAX BREAK!

Think about that for a minute. Let it sink in. I'm richer than most of you will ever be. And I don't say that to be a jerk, I say it to prove a point. I got my first Passport when I was almost 40. My son's had one since he was ten. Can you say that about your kids?

I got my money, "The Old Fashioned Way" too. I inherited when my dad died! And didn't have to pay a dime in inheritance tax. Are you really worried about your family losing your small business? Or family farm? Don't, it ain't going to happen.

And where are the, "Tea Baggers" in this? They should be up in arms about this! After all, they want an end to Federal spending and reduction in the National Deficit! But keeping the tax breaks for the rich will result in more than $500 BILLION in taxes that will NOT go toward the deficit! They got a payroll tax break that might bankrupt Social Security. So I'm sure they will be happy about that until they understand what it really means.

Remember all these dopes last summer that held up signs saying, "Keep your Government hands off my Medicaid"? They thought that WASN'T a federal program! THEY ARE DUMB!

I make about $22K a year in pension from the state, my wife makes less. But because of her disability she gets SSI and Medicaid, my daughter who is Autistic gets SSI (part of her mothers, so not a full share) and Medicaid. So, you're asking yourself, "With all the money you have, why are you "STEALING" benefits from the Federal Government? YOU of all people don't need them!" You would think so.

But since we don't have a national health care plan like every other industrialized nation in the Western World, IT'S THE ONLY WAY THEY CAN GET HEALTH CARE! Since the Republicans in the State Legislature took away, Deb and MY, retirement health care in 2006. But kept it for themselves. Chris Butters has lifetime PEHP. I don't.

And as far as stealing it? Fuck you. It's insurance and we both paid into it our WHOLE lives. We're just collecting what we paid for. Thank you, FDR.

Now, I own nicer cars than you, have been more places than you, and consider myself one lucky SOB. I have enough money to live on the rest of my life as long as I listen to my broker. And I don't have enough money to support Republicans or their policies.

I have to start shopping for health insurance next year because my five years of retirement PEHP runs out. I'm pretty sure I can get my son and I at least some sort of catastrophic plan. But I've had three surgeries in the last two years, so regular coverage for me? Not so much. Is this any way to treat people in, "The Greatest Country In World"? Why don't we have a national health car plan? We don't need insurance companies if we had one.

I have a safe full of guns that no one has come for. So that doesn't worry me. I have to ask, especially a bunch of guys I used to work with at Corrections, who were earning a lot less money than me (I came over from the Juvenile Court earning more, so there was never any need or want to be a Supervisor and have the headache. I was already earning the money without it) why do you keep voting for Republicans? They have taken your retirement health care, are keeping you from having access to a national plan, and want to now take away your pension and make you keep your own retirement account. In light of that, why work for the State at all?

But, hey, they want to make the Browning 1911, .45 ACP the Official State Gun! So we got that going for us! If I didn't already have a bunch of guns, I'd go buy one to shoot myself in the head with it for staying in a state so full of stupid!

So, "R's" enjoy the tax cut you didn't get. Keep waiting for the, "trickle down" from all of your rich friends (You do know they will just be pissing down the back of your Wal Mart vest and telling you it's raining, right? Even, David Stockman was on TV last week saying they knew when he worked in the Regan White House that it wouldn't work. If you don't know who he was, he was the Regan budget director who wanted the FDA to count, Ketchup as a vegetable in federaly funded School Lunch Programs to save money. Nice guy) and know that you voted for, God, guns, gut's and, Jesus.

And you're running your country into the ground. I'll send you a postcard from Belize.

If you work for a living, you are NOT a Republican.

No comments:

Post a Comment