Sunday, December 5, 2010

Foggy Sunday In SLC

Every year, Deb buys a bunch of coloring books and crayons and wraps them up real nice and takes them to the homeless shelter for the kids. A noble cause, no doubt. Even though it's a bit outdated. So I put .38 Special in my belt line and drive her down there to do the right thing in a place where I used to put a LOT of people in jail, and I have to hope they don't remember me.

I'm happy to be OUT of that world after 23 years in it. But she likes to do this, and since it's a good thing, I can't tell her, "NO", so I just do it and hope that I can get out of there alive.

My wife has NO idea how much I hate to do this. I get out of the car, hand on gun, open the trunk, let her hand over the coloring books to the staff at shelter, while scanning the area to see who might try to kill me or my wife and swipe our $50K Audi.

It takes all of a minute to make her happy to do this. I creeps me out for a week before, to THINK about it.

At this point in our lives, I wish she would just send them a check for whatever made her feel good. I'll cover it. We're rich and retired. And it's a good cause. Way better than sending money to some religion. Send it to a group that actually uses it to HELP people in distress.

I spent too many years working in the worst parts of the valley. Homeless shelters, trailer parks, subsidised housing, shitty rentals in West Valley, Kearns, and Magna. Old apartment buildings in SLC. I've been there, and I don't want to go there ANYMORE! Quit buying coloring books, and just send a check. It will do more good. And I won't have to drive downtown with a gun in my pants!

On the bright side? We tried to have lunch at, "The Tin Angle" and it was closed, so we went to, La Frontera on 400 South and 1200 West and is was as good as it always used to be. Best Mexican food in the valley.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment