Monday, October 3, 2011

Prohibition

I've been watching, "Prohibition" the last two nights on PBS.  The new documentary by Ken Burns.  I like to think, that with a sociology degree, I KNOW about group think, and the social movements in this country.  and in most cases I DO!  My education at the, "U" was good.

But I had NO idea how much the prohibition movement was related to racism, and German hating when the first World War started and all the beer was being brewed by the German immigrants.

Did you know that when WWI started, Americans started calling,, Sauerkraut, "Liberty Cabbage"?  Kind of sounds like 2002 when French Fry's were renamed, "Freedom Fry's" in the Congressional Cafeteria.

If we cannot remember the past, we are doomed to repeat it!  And we have learned nothing from it! 

It's the same thing we are doing with our, "War on drugs".  If the Government denies you access to something?  A criminal element will spring up to provide it.  History proves it.

So, legalize drugs and tax the sales, and you end the budget deficit and quit spending money on unenforceable laws.  Empty the prisons.  And life would be better here.

And you think I'M CRAZY?  No I'm not.  I spent 23 years as a soldier in the drug war.  Trust me, we lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment