Monday, October 8, 2012

Baby, It's Cold Outside

This time of year is tough.  I LOVE the fall.  But this afternoon?  Sitting on the patio with, "The Usual Suspects", smoking cigars, listening to satellite radio and having some adult beverages?  It got COLD!  If you weren't sitting in the sun?  You better have a sweatshirt on.

It's COLD out there!

I'm pretty sure I can turn off the sprinkler system this week.  I have a feeling that the air conditioner will NOT go back on this year.  The leaves in the mountains are turning and falling, but not down here yet.  Should start soon.

And this year?  It seemed to come on so fast!  EJ said it best today, "Three weeks ago we were moving from the shade to the shade on the patio and today?  We're moving into the sun!"  So true.

I need more bird feed tomorrow.  They have been loading up for the long flight south.  Or the long fight this winter when they stay here.  I don't know which.

The snakes have moved in.  I had two in the front yard the other night, and one in the back.  They like to nest for the winter under my front porch that's made of dark colored Trex, and really holds the heat.  And in the back yard, they like to live in the wood pile for the winter.

That's OK, I like having them here.  They eat slugs and snails, and they are harmless, Garter Snakes.  But when you walk out onto your patio, and it seems to be, "moving"?  All I can think of is, Samuel L. Jackson's voice, and it's yelling, "These M*****F******, SNAKES, on this, M*****F****** PATIO!

My daughter won't go out on the patio anymore.  She hates snakes like I hate spiders.

But fall in Utah is changing.  It's not as gradual.  And it's not as soon.  The stuff happening this week, the first week in October?  Used to happen in September when I was a kid.  I remember the earliest snowstorm in the Salt Lake Valley happening on September 17th.  It was back in the 70's, when I was a kid.  I don't remember the exact year.  But I remember it because it happened on my mom's birthday.

Is it global warming?  YES.  Yes it is.  And if we don't do something about it, we're all screwed.

I think what I'll do about it is vote for Democrats, shut off my sprinkler system this week, send my money to politicians who are smarter than anyone running for office in Utah, and only burn my fireplace when...   Oh fuck it.  I'm not giving up the fireplace OR the Camaro.

But I'll keep recycling.  Is that enough?

Keep warm out there.  I shut the fireplace tonight, only to reopen it next weekend while watching college football. 

The times might not be changing?  But the weather is.

No comments:

Post a Comment