Monday, December 17, 2012

It's Down To This

One day, my mom is doing great.  She's always all there mentally.  Physically?  Not so much.  She can't keep down solid food, so I'm buying her the fruit juice based, Boost on line since I can't find it here.

The cancer is kicking her ass.  It's pretty obvious, that she's, "circling the drain".  She actually said she would rather die than keep living like this.  Don't blame her.

On Friday, she was in great spirits, very upbeat, felt great.  Saturday I called her with the Bowl Game times and channel and she sounded great.  I didn't see her on Sunday and when I went to see her today?  She had a bad Sunday.  Soiled her clothes and her bed three times, couldn't eat, and felt lousy.

This disease is so day to day.  One day she's great, the next, she's awful.

The Hospice nurse thinks she won't make it until Christmas.  Some days I think she's right.  Other days?  Mom is doing really well.

Well, I won't be traveling anytime soon.  Not until this is over.  I have a three story condo to empty out and deal with.  And this is what you do, cause it's what you HAVE to do as a child.  You take care of your parents.

But when it's done?  I'm going to go away for a while.  Take the blind woman I live with to Belize for a while.  Or Mexico, or Paris, or Paros, I don't know.  Then I'll take a deep breath and sit down with my children and tell them how shitty it's going to be for THEM when their mother and I go.

So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment