Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Democrats vs. Charter Schools and stupidity.

My friend, Tim Cosgrove is running for the Legislature again. As well he should. He's done a great job for the people of Murray and Midvale for the last six years. And he's now being challenged by a guy with a lot of name recognition. Shawn Bradley, the former BYU drop out, and NBA wash out.

I've coached, Tim's son, James in soccer, and now, James still plays with my son on, The Murray Max team. Poor, James just broke his arm in a fall and is out all summer. We will miss him in tournaments, he's a real solid fullback.

Anyway, I've heard, Mr. Bradley described as a, "Vice Principal" at a Charter School with ties to, Chris Buttars in a newspaper article. And later, in, Wickipedia as a, "Vice Principal" and, "Student Counselor" at West Ridge Academy. Still a Charter School in West Jordan.

Years ago I was out there at their campus in an industrial area, near the Dannon Yogurt Factory, checking on an interstate compact parolee from Texas that was living there as a sex offender! I eventually sent the guy home to Texas, despite, Chris Buttars trying to influence my boss to make me change my mind, because they didn't have any licensed, clinical, therapists of ANY kind on the pay roll. Let alone, Psychologists that could treat sex offenders.

But the guy from Texas? His parents could pay the monthly fee, and tell the judge there that he was in, "treatment", so he wasn't in prison.

Now, I go into look at, West Ridge Academy on the Internet, and they have a, "meet the staff" page. Did I mention that they are now a, "Charter School"? If I haven't, I should have.

Oh, and they claim to be, "non-denominational", but most of their staff have, "degrees" from BYU, and a lot of colleges you have never heard of.

But, Mr. Bradley is strangely absent from their, "meet the staff" page. If he's a, "Vice Principal" or, "Student Counselor" he should have a strong presence on this page. And to do EITHER job in a PUBLIC high school, you would need an advanced degree, like an MSW, or at least a Masters in Education.

I have searched the Internet, and can't find anything telling me where, Shawn Bradley got his advanced degrees? Maybe I'm just missing it. I'm willing to admit, I'm not perfect, and give, Mr. Bradley the benefit of the doubt. But why doesn't his employer, "vouch" (word play on, Voucher, couldn't resist!) for him? He's not on their web site at all. Is he, or isn't he, a, "Vice Principal" or, "Student Counselor"?

I know Utah is the home of, "Something for Nothing" when it comes to education. No one wants to actually have to attend four years of school to get a degree. Hence the availability of, the, "University" of Phoenix, and, Columbia, "College" on the second floor of an office building downtown, not on the North end of Manhattan Island, and all these other diploma mills.

But it seems at this particular, "Charter School", you don't have to have to have a degree.

What you hiding, Shawn? Tell us the truth. I don't want my representative to NOT have gone to college! Tim has a BS from Weber State, and a MASTERS, from George Washington University in Washington, DC!

Would this mean your candidacy is nothing but an attempt by the uneducated, Republican, right wing, Mormon, "Bund" in the legislature to try to jam through another attempt at having your private, Mormon, Schools funded with public money? Despite the fact that right thinking people beat you back with a petition a few years ago? I think so.

Even in your interview with the Tribune, you couldn't articulate why you even wanted to run! Shawn, you're a, "tool" of powers way ahead of you. But all us Utah fans, always knew you were a tool.

Now, you are going to lend your name and fame to this cause of funding private Mormon schools with public money. Well, I pledge you this. Every public appearance you make, I will show up and ask you about your educational background. What degrees do you posses that makes you qualified to be a, "Vice Principal", or, "School Counselor", and make you stand there, with your teeth in your mouth, and no thought in your head, and tell the truth. EVERY ONE, Shawn. Every time the, "Valley Journal", a notorious, right wing, rag, touts one of your appearances, I'll be there. I will embarrass you every chance I get. So, be prepared, or drop out of the race. The longer you run, the stupider you will look.

I LOVE election years when the opposition is, "unarmed in a battle of wits!".

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I don't live in Utah. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's a great place to live. You just have to have a very, sensitive, "BS Detector", and be willing to question authority. Especially in an election year!

    ReplyDelete