Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Face Book, Privacy, and who gets what ads? And how?

I got into FB about a year ago. At the advice of some friends. And since I'd been trying to hide, as a, Probation/Parole Officer for many years. I love it.

Now I'm hearing that it's sharing too much of our private information, and some people are signing out. That's a shame.

I haven't given my credit card numbers, or ss#, or any information that could really hurt me. I don't mind sharing my address. I've found out I have old friends right in the same neighborhood! I'd love them to drop by.

But if you are bothered about your privacy, I have to ask about the filtering system, FB is using to decide what ads to hit you with. Since after all, that's the name of the game, isn't it? Get advertisers hooked up with folks who's profiles would indicate that they might be interested in their products?

And I've seen it work. In March, I bought the, Camaro and I got an ad for a, "lingerie" cover for the car in the right color, for when it spends extended time in the garage, as it will. I spent the, $249.

Next, Discount Golf was having a sale on golf shoes, and yes, they could fit my extra wide foot. And my very, expensive, WIDE golf shoes fell apart last fall, after a good six or seven years of service. No complaints. Nothing lasts forever. 4E Adidas, size 11, including shipping came in at, $54! I paid over, $100 for my last pair of wide golf shoes, and that was here in the valley, right on State Street, just south of me.

University of Utah T-shirts in XXXL? Democrat shirts, like, "Red State: Blue Voter" in my size? I'm in! I love this.

But now? Not so much. The only ads I get seem to be for stuff I don't want, and inquiry's as to whether or not I, "like", Mitt Romney or, Dick Morris!

Romney is an asshole, flip flopper of the highest order, and I HOPE, beyond HOPE that he and the, "Moron MILF" from Alaska are, in fact, the Republican ticket in 2012. They will carry, Utah and Alaska and lose in a landslide because even the, "Bible Belt" Christians won't vote for a, Mormon. And anyone who went to college and reads books they don't sell at Costco won't want anything to do with, Palin.

And, Dick "What Hooker?" Morris? Please. I read.

Now, since I'm an avowd, Liberal, Democrat, ACLU Member, and have a college degree, so I can critically think, and when doing physical therapy for my back surgery two years ago, made them change the TV from, "Faux News" or I would walk, wobbly as it were, OUT on them, because I don't put up with bullshit, am I getting, "shout outs" from people I think are total, MORONS?!

Can you send a, "like this" to your other friends? Because if you can? I'm about to lose some friends. And I don't give a shit. I just want them to get the shock of their life when I do it.

I'm at 139 now. By the weekend? I bet it's down by half. And you know what? I'm OK with that. It will leave me with the smart ones. I don't care about the numbers. I want the smart ones.

I'd rather have 50 FB friends I have something in common with NOW, that a lot of folks I liked a long time ago, but might not like now.

It's been fun catching up. But I'm finally figuring our why we didn't stay in touch for all these years.

And if you disagree with me, but still want to stay in touch? GOOD! Glad to have you. We don't have to talk, "politics". We can just talk. I love being in touch with old friends.

Or, I enjoy a good debate. And I can respect, and admire your position, if you can articulate it. And that does not mean telling me, "God said so". That is NOT, articulation. That is the last bastion of a person who has no argument.

Or, at least no, real, evidence. Scripture is NOT evidence. Scripture is fiction. All of it, by the way. Just so you don't think I'm picking on, Mormons. Old Testament? Fiction. New Testament? Fiction. Koran? Fiction, stolen from the previous two books. Book of Mormon? Fiction, cobbled together from the above, but with South America thrown in to throw you off, and written by a guy who was actually arrested for being a con man. I have to admit he was good. His con has lasted almost 200 years now. Scientology? God was an alien, and sent people here to colonize, earth? Yeah, right. Did he come from the, Planet, Kolob?

We have science now, people. We can quit believing in astrology, and superstition. But can I quit getting asked to, "like" Mitt? I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment