Sunday, June 6, 2010

Spring Time In The Rockies

The last couple of years, we have had long, cold, wet, "springs" that felt more like a, "Lite Winter" from March to May, and then, one day in early, June, Summer comes out and kicks out ass! Well this has happened again.

On Friday, the temperature reached the 80's after weeks of rain and clouds. And about four o'clock that afternoon, a helicopter started to fly up and down the Jordan river, just West of the house. The first, "fall in search" of season. As opposed to the, "Police search" that happens every couple of years along the Parkway. That latest one was a week or two ago. Around 11 o'clock at night.

I drove through Murray Park this weekend, and it's flooding. On Friday, the water was high, but only over the bank in front of the old ice rink. By today, it's been all the way over to the new pool, and pushing stuff into the parking lot.

Years ago, when my friend, Phil was in charge of Parks and Rec, he told me they had figured out that the max water flow through the Park was eight hours after the highest temperature of the day. So that puts it around two in the morning. As I write this, it's a quarter to one in the morning, on Monday morning, and I would bet you can't drive through, Murray Park in a regular car.

I'm on the right side of the river. Jordan River. Meaning the right hand side of it as it flows, and the side that's on the 500 year flood plane. Folks just across the river from me on the, "left bank" as it's known in, Paris are on the 100 year flood plane. The last time it flooded was 1983, but you never know. And is the City Engineer always right? I hope so!

The, "Left Bank" in Paris, by the way, is awesome. It's the coolest place to hang out, has the best restaurants, the neatest attractions, like, The Eiffel Tower.

Today, we drove up to Park City. Deb and I, and our friends, the Markham's. We took, "The Bitchin' Camaro", they, their, Boxster. And it was beautiful. Enough snow in the mountains to remind you of where you live, but still warm enough for shorts and t-shits. Had brunch at, "Squatters", then came home.

I don't know any place else in the world that you can still be skiing in June (Snowbird is still open, if you didn't know) and play golf, all in the same day. That is totally wacky. And I guess that's why I still live here.

I'm retired. I have some money in the bank. I could live anywhere I like. But I still live here. And with the Internet, I could still talk to friends as much as I do now. And pay my bills, order my records, and do anything I wanted.

But I still live here!

I'm a left wing Liberal, Democrat who's so much smarter than most of the voters in this state, and I still live here.

I absolutely know I can never, no matter how much money I give away, get the Legislature of this state to NOT, Gerrymander it. But I still live here.

Why? Maybe because of a day like today. Or a perfect day spent at a University of Utah football, game in the fall. Or maybe because I grew up here, and want to change it for the better.

Or, because I wanted to buy a house in Tucson, Arizona to spend the winters in when my son is away at college, and they recently proved themselves to be even more racist, xenophobic, right wing, stupid, and uneducated than even the Mormon's in Utah!

I wish, New Mexico wasn't such a shit hole, or I'd move there! But that state sucks. ALL of it!

Florida? Covered in oil. Belize? Too expensive. Costa Rica? I'd have to visit before I could commit.

So I guess I'll just stay here, vote for and give money to Democrats (yeah, that leaves YOU, out, Jim Matheson) and hope for the best.

The, "R's" are going to Gerrymander the state this year, no question. But we can hope the Supreme Court will step in. Hope springs eternal.

1 comment:

  1. Hope does spring eternal but I think we will see gerrymandering and I'll be surprised if the Supreme Court actually does anything about it.

    ReplyDelete