Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Play Room? WTF?

It's almost midnight. I'm down here looking at email, printing off email's from coach's with maps and schedules for the Summer Games soccer this week. Listening to, "Outlaw Country" on, Sirius on line.

My 14 year old son has NOT been drinking. He's been playing video games in the next room since his soccer practice ended a few hours ago, with his friend, Jaden who's spending the night, and probably the next night before we leave for, Cedar City.

All of a sudden, as I'm answering email, he comes into this room, and yes he knocked, but it's ok, I'm on Face Book, not, Shufuni, and says, "Am I in a PLAY ROOM?"

Oh, God. He's sleepwalking again. He hasn't done that since he was ten! I can't remember! Do I slap him silly and wake him up, or just let it go and direct him back to bed!

So, I ask him, "Where do you think you are, Son?". Hoping for some clue as to what to do NOW!

He says, "Am, I staying in the PLAYROOM in Cedar City!?"

Whoo! Now I get it. But he's still not speaking, English. But at least I know what he's TRYING to ask me, and that he's not sleepwalking.

"Are you asking me if you, and, Jaden are staying in the, "Player Room" at the motel in Cedar City?"

"Yeah!" He says.

Wondering about his mastery of the, English language aside. I have to wonder if I want all these guys to spend the night together. And they might end up dumber than they are now, but I say to him anyway, "Yeah, I'm planning for you both to spend the nights in the PLAYERS room, so your mother and I can have a room all to ourselves. Do you understand the importance of putting, the, "er" on the end of a word, and how it changes it's meaning?"

He says he does, but I have my doubts.

This is going to be an interesting couple of weeks. The boys all in one room, sleeping bags, and one of the coaches to run herd on them, like herding cats. Making sure they are not sneaking out at night to go to the, Iceberg to get shakes at midnight like in St. George a few years ago. Until Saturday when we come home.

Then, Boston for a week. Both kids, 3 bedroom condo, Red Sox, then, Jimmy Buffett. Come home, and a few days later, Deb and I in Denver.

I hope I can still function by the end of June.

I have to start to plan for the trip to Greece in September, and the football trips with the, Utes. At least Iowa State is taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment