Monday, March 19, 2012

Racist, Republicans Killed, Trayvon Martin. And His Killer Will Never Be Prosecuted. Way To Go, Florida!

I don't have all the facts.  I haven't spent a lot of time researching this story.  But I will tell you what I DO know.  And what I know because I was a Cop for 23 years. And an educated, Liberal for a LOT longer than that.

In Utah, you can use, "deadly force" if you believe it is necessary to protect yourself or another from the possibility of death, or serious bodily injury.  This is the same standard our Peace Officers are held to.  I know.  I used to be one.

And, under Utah law, you can use it to protect you home.  If some jerk is breaking into your car in your driveway?  You can't shoot him.  If he's trying to break into your house?  You don't have to try to figure out why.  You can light him up.

And the only other reason you can use, "deadly force" in this state?  Execution.  And THAT use requires a Judge to have signed off on it.

Oh, I left one out.  But it's not used often.  If you are trying to escape from our Prisons?  The Correctional Officer in the tower does NOT need to know WHY you are in prison, or if you are a threat to anyone.  He or she does NOT need to know if you're in prison for check forging, or multiple murders.  They can light you up.  And SHOULD!  You're in prison for a reason.  And that reason is that you did something bad to someone, and we, in the Prison Business, are paid to keep you IN the Prison.  It's what we do.

In Florida?  The threat part is not part of their law.  In 2006 they passed a law that they called, "The Stand Your Ground" law.  You don't have to have a CCW permit, you just have to be a citizen, to carry a gun.  AND, you don't have to feel like your life is danger.  If you feel threatened, in any way, by any means, you can use deadly force to protect yourself.

Some folks call it the, "Make My Day" law.  Meaning if you give me ANY excuse to shoot you?  I can.  And I'm protected by Florida Law for doing it.  I think that happened here.

So the guy who shot and killed, Trayvon Martin?  Who was a neighborhood watch guy, not a Cop.  CAN NOT be prosecuted.  He killed this young man, totally within Florida Law.  Even though it appears that the only crime the kid committed, was not listening to a Security Guard, who told him to stop.

Is this a racist act?  Maybe.  But my gut feeling on this is that it's the desperate act of a frustrated, "Wanna Be" Cop, who couldn't get hired because he wanted the job to shoot people.

Black people?  We might never know.  But that's where I'd put my money if I had to bet.

I think this guy was an unstable, racist jerk who was looking for an excuse to shoot some Black People, and he finally found one.

Thanks to the Florida State Legislature.  Who passed the, "Stand Your Ground" law.

Look, I understand not wanting to be a victim.  I'm six, almost seven years retired from law enforcement.  I carry a gun a LOT of the time I'm out.  And if I thought me or my family was going to be a victim of a crime, I'd use it.  And let the courts sort it out latter.

But I cannot imagine, chasing some teenager down, and shooting him because he was being, Black in my neighborhood!

The guys belongs in jail, but thanks to a racist, REPUBLICAN Legislature in Florida?  The Cops can't press charges, the County Attorney can't file them, and the murderer will get away.

Utah Legislature?  I hope you continue to NOT read real newspaper's, or listen to NPR.  Cause you'll pass this same stupid law next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment