Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mortality. Deal With It.

Took my mother from assisted living to get her first chemotherapy treatment this morning.  It's not going to help.  She's so full of cancer that they can't operate, and this is a long shot at best to make her live six months instead of three.

She's done.  And it comes as a great surprise.  She was totally healthy until the first of July this year, when she fell and couldn't get up.

She's in a great place.  Canyon Creek is awesome.  There staff is the best.  I had my dad there six years ago, and they treated him like royalty.  Even though he was a prick.

We come face to face with our OWN mortality when our parents die.  Hey, if the people who raised YOU can die?  And leave YOU all alone?  What hope is there for the rest of us?

Well, quite a lot, actually.  We have our spouses.  We have our progeny.  And after we are gone, we can only hope that they keep our memory alive.  Or not.  Might just be a pain in their ass.  Could go either way.

With my dad?  He was an asshole to me and my whole family.  I honored his wishes at his death, cause I was his only son.  Only child, I should have said.  Buried him where he wanted.  Bought him a nice tomb stone.  Even flew the whole family back to West Virginia to see the stone in place.

I went a LOT more out of the way for him, dead, than he ever went for me, alive.

In all the years I played football  and soccer in Murray?  He NEVER bothered to come to a game.  Prick.  Then when he was old, he wanted me to hang out with him?  Yeah, right.

My Mom?  Totally different story.  I'll spend as much time as I can with her.  I'm going to miss HER!

Today was the best day she's had in a long time.  Those IV's included one that dealt with her nausea, and some Benadrill.  So she was goofy all day.

The next few days?  We shall see.

Parents die.  They get sick.  But at least my mom has all her mind left right now.  And I just bought her a new LED TV for her bedroom at Canyon Creek so she can watch college football.  And an adjustable wall mount for it, so even though the bed won't raise up?  The TV will move for her!

So we got THAT going for us.

Getting old sucks.  Even though I like it better than the alternative.

I'm going to miss my mom.  This will be a new experience for me.  Didn't miss my father.  Deb has been so much help.

I guess we will all go through it.  So it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment