Sunday, January 3, 2010

Ethics/Gerrymandering petitions

I'd like to sign the petitions to make the, Republican, right wing, Legislature in this state have to have some ethics reform. I'd also like to sign the one to have a bi-partisan committee draw up the Legislative Districts, etc. but as of yet, I haven't seen one. Where the heck can you find these people?

When we were trying to repeal the, Republican sponsored, and, "Overstock.com" financed assault on our public schools to fund religious schools for nut balls with public money, those petitions showed up EVERYWHERE! I signed at my son's little league tryouts. These new ones? Not so much.

Did you all read the Orrin Hatch/ "Biker Mark" Shurtliff column that called the Federal Government's attempt to give us some real health care reform, unconstitutional in yesterdays paper? Give me a break. Two lawyers who don't know anything about the law making that assertion? I guess the Fed's telling me to buy health insurance, ANY health insurance I can afford, is WAY different than being required to have car insurance if you have a car. This required by the State. And, I assume, as it's been in effect for a while now, it's constitutional?

It's funny how the more Conservative the nut ball, the more they scream, "Unconstitutional" when someone passes a law THEY disagree with. But when they pass obviously, unconstitutional, and stupid, intrusive laws trying to regulate abortion or your cable TV channels, what kind of sex you can have between consenting adults, who you can marry (since that's sanctioned by the State and gives you things like, "tax breaks" and inheritance rights. And doesn't affect CHURCHES!) they yell about, "Activist Judges" when, "The Constitution" gets in their way. Selective law interpretation is a, Republican trait they just can't give up.

When they do it, it's upholding our, God given rights. When they lose, it's, "Activist Judges".

No it's not. It's Judges who went to real law schools (not, BYU, or, "Liberty University") who actually know how to interpret, The Constitution. And understand that it protects the minority from the tyranny of the majority. Even if the Majority doesn't LIKE it!

The same Constitution that lets you practice your religion, no matter how goofy, allows me to not HAVE to live under laws inspired by your, goofy religion! An example? I live in Utah, but because of the Constitution, I don't HAVE to wear, "Magic Underwear" and since liquor is legal in this country, I can still buy a bottle of bourbon here. Were all this stuff up to the, "Majority" in any state, I couldn't. And around here, I wouldn't have satellite TV either. It would be like, China, or Cuba (and I've been to Cuba, so I know) where they don't want any outside information that would make you question authority, to be able to get in.

Orrin, Mark, please, just go away. Orrin, go write songs that no one wants to hear. If it makes you happy, it's, "Constitutionally Protected" if you make bad, records. Mark, take care of your family business, get better from your crash, and quit trying to be more Conservative than the next guy. You have a law degree (although I don't know where from, but I'm assuming your educated enough to know when you have crossed the, "sensible" line) and you know, in your heart of hearts, that some of the shit you have come up with over the last few years is just, plain, crazy. You really can't be the right wing nut ball you think you have to be to get out of convention in Utah. Or, actually, KNOW you have to be, any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment