Wednesday, January 27, 2010

FB quizzes

I'm starting to detect a pattern here. The last quiz, I got 80%, and, "lost" to someone who took the same quiz, and got the same answers in something like 2 seconds. There's a time limit? Where does it say that? I didn't get that message.

Do you fly, Delta? Long distances, when you get to fly on 767's, or MD10's (I think those are the ones. I've seen so many airplanes in the last ten years, I can't keep them straight)? And you have the entertainment screen in the back of the seat in front of you? Do you know about this?

Well last year, when we took the kids and went to Paris, my son and I had a good time on the trivia game. But I started to notice something when we were flying home. The computer keeps score for the WHOLE plane. And I was getting all the answers right, but LOSING the game! WTF?

I started to notice that my son was scoring 600 points for a right answer, and I was getting 300, and I didn't know why. He was getting only a FEW right answers, but he was getting more points. Until I figured out that scoring quickly was more important than reading the whole question, and considering the possible answers, and getting it right.

So I asked him to take the quiz with me, and do what he had been doing, just guessing, and hoping it would be right, quickly (after all, he was 12. He didn't know all the answers. Hell, he didn't even know most of the questions! He's 12. I'm 50. He's just goofing, and hoping!) and we would see who would score higher. He beat me.

So, if you have a time limit, you have set it up so that the guy who just randomly guesses, but does it fast, beats the guy who actually reads the question, considers the answers, and picks the right one.

Trivial Pursuit, this is NOT! They don't want you to test your knowledge. They want to keep you entertained.

I'm going to be on an airplane for most of 24 hours on the 15th of February. And I might take the quizzes. But I'll be happy with scoring 100%, even if I don't win. I know how it works now.

Even on FB. This is why, "Math Sucks" and I could score 100%, and still only score better than 99% of the folks who took the quiz. It's timed. Who knew?

Good speech by our, President tonight. He talked like a, Democrat. Now, can he make it happen? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment