Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Red Butte Rude. If you're HERE why are you a moron?

Went to a concert at, Red Butte Garden tonight. First one this year. A very talented young lady named, Angel Thompson opened the show. Followed by some guy I have never heard of named, Chris Allen, and his, "Chris Allen Band". And they rocked the house, let me tell you! They were awesome.

He made some references to having been on, "American Idol" but since I've never watched that show, I can't say I've heard of him. But he was good, and I think he has a future on, "Outlaw Country". He plays that, "Texas" type country, and does it well.

And, Bare naked Ladies were the feature band. They kicked ass! I'm surprised they did, "Broke Into The Old Apartment" as the second song, thinking they would save it for later, but they brought it all for two hours, and everything you wanted to hear by these guys, you did. And they adlib'ed songs about SLC, and Utah. Quick wit, and talent, they showed it all. Great show.

Now, lets talk about the crowd. Mostly, "Yuppies", if I can still use that term. Appeared to be well fed, well educated, and acted like they had been there before. Except that they were, for the most part, total ASSHOLES!

We got up there early, and actually had a friend who let us sit in line with her. But once we were in, every type of asshole, wanted to take the one foot of space we had left between us and the people in front of us (so people could walk to the restroom, or just OUT for whatever reason) and put ten people in front of it! One guy asked me if he could sit on the two inches of space between me and the nice folks next to us. And when I told him, no, he called ME an ASSHOLE!

If you're asking if you can shove yourself and your friends between me and the guy's next to me, while our blankets don't touch. And YOU didn't get up there and sit in line for a couple of hours like I did? And you want to sit in MY seat, while you didn't pay the price like I DID? I'M NOT THE ASSHOLE IN THIS CONVERSATION!

Some woman came up to me and asked if she could sit in the space next to us, and I told her, "No". I didn't explain all the reasons, but she kept bugging me. I finally told her, "No, you can't sit there, so move along." She said to me, "Thanks for being so nice." I know how to handle sarcasm, I told her the truth, "I wasn't NICE to you. I told you to piss off! Now get out of hear!"

Deb and I went to the very, first concert at Red Butte Garden. I can't remember if it was 1987, or 1989, but we hadn't been married for very long. It was a Sunday night, and it was in a little alcove of grass up there. Probably us and about 300 other people. Robert Earl Keen Jr. (he was still using the, "Jr." at the time) opened the show. Townes Van Zant was up next, and this was only a few years before he died. And the headliner was, Guy Clark. It was called, "A night of Texas Songwriters". And it sure was.

Years later, when we got to meet, Robert Earl Keen before a concert, I told him about this experience, and he said, "I remember that night! I was with, Townes, and Guy!"

Now, there are so many, rude, yuppie pricks up there, that you can't move around! We used to keep a foot or two between blankets so people could walk around. Now? You leave a foot between your blankets, and some lazy prick, who showed up ten minutes ago, while you've been waiting in line for hours, will squeeze in there, with ten of her friends!

One guy came and sat on the wall next to me tonight, and I told him, "Please don't sit there. I've left a lane open so people quit stepping on me and my family and knocking over our drinks and stuff." He said to me, "I'll only be a minute", to which I replied, and I think in a nice way, "No, that isn't going to happen. If you sit there, I'll get stomped on, you need to move now!"

His response, which brought out the, "PO" in me was, "So you're telling me I can't sit here long enough to take a picture?" And I said to him, "Yes, I am. Move or I'm moving you. I asked nice once, and I won't ask again. I'll just move you."

Well, I guess he got the message, because he moved, and called me an asshole. My response was, "If you want to sit in my seat, get here when I do, Dickhead!"

My son, came and sat next to me and said, "Dad, you really scared that guy! He was shaking when he left! How do you do that?"

I told him I'd tell him later. But that he has to be willing to take a punch to be scary. I was always willing, but in 23 years in Law Enforcement, I NEVER took the punch. They always backed down.

Now, why can't I get someone to respect my blanket at, Red Butte Garden? Do I have to have a gun?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow night at the, Lyle Lovett show!

No comments:

Post a Comment