Monday, January 10, 2011

I Cut Myself With A Gun. WTF?

I was half kidding about needing another gun when I was blogging last night. "Blogarrhea", as Katie Daryl would call it on her show on HDNET. But the fact is, I've been thinking about buying a .45 ACP, Model 1911 for some time just because it's an historical gun.

When I was a kid, every time you got an, "Army" set of some kind, it had a plastic model of that gun in it. The big machine gun by, Marx had that as it's side arm. All your green Army men who weren't holding rifles were holding 1911's. It's just so much of a part of our history. So I didn't need one that was in fact a Colt, or used in a war, I just wanted one.

Some people collect coins. Some stamps. I'm starting to collect performance cars and handguns. I have a big gun safe, and will eventually need a bigger garage. But the truth be known? There are coins and stamps that cost a LOT more than my recent handgun purchases. Today's was less than $800 WITH a lot of ammo!

I saw a beautiful, Colt 1911 at a local shop last week. Brand new, and a model of the ones issued to U.S. Soldiers in WWI. It was really pretty, even stamped with, "PROPERTY US GOVERNMENT" on the side. A great reproduction. It was $1000. And, I'm sure, worth every penny.

But it was blue. And you wouldn't want to CARRY this thing. You would rub the blue off. It would be something you would shoot a couple of times a year. I didn't want this. I want something I can use.

So, off to, Gallenson's! The last REAL gun shop in town. I won't tell you the salesman's name, to protect him from selling a gun to a Liberal. But he was very helpful. Walked me through all the possible guns I wanted, and then, brought out the one I liked the best. A Springfield Armory, five inch bbl. with a 7 shot mag (just like the military one. It's actually called the, "Mil-Spec" package) and it was STAINLESS! BONUS! You can't rub off the STAINLESS!

Yeah, it's made in Brazil. Not what I would prefer, but a lot better than what THAT meant in the 70's when I was selling guns in, Zinik's Sporting Goods in the mall. South American guns were junk, and they had no US distributors. So if this gun is junk? I gotta a guy in Illinois who's going to take the heat for it.

Feels good in the hand. Came with a holster, and a mag holster, a cleaning brush, two magazines, wood AND rubber grips and all the tools you will need to work on this thing. I fell in love with it, and bought it. Yeah, I used the Visa card so, Deb was happy that we are getting airline miles for it, and I'll pay it off next week so I don't pay interest.

This thing is SO big, and scary looking, that if I ever pulled it on someone, and they didn't just shit their pants, and give up the fight, I would be really surprised. This is one, "bigassed" handgun.

So, I bring it home, and I pull it all out on the dinning room table and start reading the owners manual. I know guns, but I don't know THIS one, so I'm reading. Turns out, if I'm leaving the house for a while, it has an internal locking system that I can activate with just a tool in the case it came in, and the gun will NOT load or fire! I like THIS!

But the instructions on how to take it apart so you can clean it are vague. Talking about using an Alan wrench to take something off, that it appears this gun doesn't have. Confusing.

So I set it aside for an hour or so, and then go back, and read it again, and look at the gun. I figured it out. The instruction manual was wrong. Very confusing. You had to ignore it to take the gun apart to clean it. I'll email Springfield Armory and tell them this. But I bet they don't listen.

I take it apart, and eventually put it back together. So I am now confident that I can do that when I shoot it and need to clean it.

I put it back in the case, and set it next to the stairs to take it to the gun safe when I go downstairs. Then the football game starts, and my friend, Phil comes over to watch it with me. I show him the gun, and the neat holster it came with. And as I try to pull the gun out of the tight fitting holster, and eventually do, I slice off the end of my left, little finger with the razor sharp front sight of the gun.

It's bleeding like crazy. I CUT myself with a gun? Can I SHOOT myself with a pocket knife? Because if I can? I'm in trouble! I have a NASTY serrated edge pocket knife I've been carrying since 1994. How do I unload it!

Cutting myself with a gun is as dumb as jumping out a window and falling UP! It's as stupid as taking a Snowboard to Alta!

I can figure out how to take the thing apart, and shoot it, but it still cut me up? This gun might be evil!

Now, many hours later, the bandage on my finger is STILL getting redder. Hope it stops by morning. I'd hate to bleed out with a little finger injury!

Oh, I forgot the moral of the story. I bought another handgun, in about 15 minutes after I decided which one I wanted. And there was plenty of ammo for it. I had ID, and a concealed weapon permit. I don't really think I should have one under every cushion in the house. I'm not that paranoid. But if you think you should shoot MY Democratic Congressman/woman or State Legislator/Senator, you best think again. I'm going to show up at their meetings, armed. And I've spent more than 20 years learning to shoot tactically, and not kill the guy next to you, even if you need to die.

So, if you live in Utah, and you think you want to shoot a Liberal? Bring your, "A" game, but rest assured that if I'm there? You're, "A" game isn't as good as mine after more than 20 years of practice in Law Enforcement.

Oh, and by the way. Could someone, or EVERYONE Please tell the Murray Fire Department how to put a flag at, "half mast"! You don't just run it up HALF WAY! Morons!

You run the flag ALL the way to the top. Then you lower it until the TOP reaches where the BOTTOM usually is!

This week the display is SO poor, that it's worse than BURNING the FLAG!

No comments:

Post a Comment