Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Slow News/Political Day, So I'm Bogging About Guns Again.

I finally got to take the new Model 1911 .45 ACP to the gun range today. And boy, did I learn some SHIT!

First of all, I learned why my Department would NEVER, ever let us carry that gun as a sidearm. It does NOT fire double action! You have to pull the hammer back, all the way on this gun! And then? After that, it pulls itself back when you fire it! Right up until you run out of bullets, and then it stops, as it should, and you load another magazine and start over.

So, with the grip safety on the gun, and the other safety's defeated, when you had the hammer all the way back, and you were ready to fire in, "COP Mode", meaning as soon as you had to pull it out of the holster, this beautiful, but dangerous bastard, could go off at the slightest bump, and blow a hole in your leg!

Now, I'm not a neophyte when it comes to handguns. I've been around them my whole life. I even sold them for a while while in college (Does anyone in SLC remember the Zinik's Sporting Goods Store in Fashion Place Mall? It was part of, Zales Corporation that sold you your sporting goods and your diamonds!). I know how to work all the early Smith and Wesson 9 mm.'s which were some of the first, "auto pistols" offered to the general public. And I always thought I knew about the Browning .45 ACP. Today I learned what I didn't know.

I loaded the big, stainless, heavy fucker up, and the hammer is back. It shot great. I put the hammer up, and it shot, NOT! So, now I know why the Cops I saw with one, had it, "cocked". That's how it works. They must have been military men prior to 1981 when it was replaced by the Beretta, so they knew.

There is a safety that will hold that hammer back, and I intend to become familiar with it. As I like this gun.

I blew 50 rounds through it at about 10 yards and they all went through, center body mass, head shots, neck shots, hip shots, right where I wanted them. No, I didn't start shooting at 3 yards and move out to 25 with X amount of round at each spot.

I don't have to do that any more. I'm worried about defending myself across a room, or on a soccer field when the pissed off parent is right in my face. The .45 lived up to expectations.

As it did at long range, too. I took one of the small targets, and ran it all the way to the end of the range. I think it was probably 50 yards, but could have been 100. Shot all 8 rounds at the little target. There was evidence that four bullets had at least made acquaintance with that piece of paper. None of them could be called, "on target".

But this just reinforces my feeling that handguns are for close quarters combat. If some guy wants to shoot me from a block away, not only am I not going to know it, I won't be able to defend myself against it.

And since I'm not a doctor who performs abortions, or a politician, I'm not worried.

But, maybe Politician's should be after last week.

And maybe, bloggers should too. After all, I disagree with everyone on the Right Wing, and I have a place to publish. How far are the Neo-Con's going to go to stifle speech against them? Shooting bloggers? Not out of the question.

Good thing I can shoot back!

The .45 was hard to put back together as opposed to a Glock or a Smith. But now that I did? It's a much BIGGER bang for the buck. So now I have the Glock AND the .45, AND the .357 all ready to defend myself against the Tyranny of the RIGHT wing! Not to mention the shotgun, the OTHER shotgun, the .22 pistol and rifle and a couple of others I can pull out of my ass, or other places.

Maybe it's time to buy an assault rifle to defend myself from the Tyranny of the MINORITY!

Just kidding. I'll continue to defend myself from Tyranny at the Ballot Box, like a TRUE, REAL, AMERICAN. Sarah Pailin sucks.

2 comments:

  1. Unusual for a left winger to be a gun nut, right? Or is that just me. haha. I think both sides are kind of nuts. Right now I think the right is nuttier than the left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's because I learned to like guns before I really got into politics. But I don't think being a political Liberal and a, "gun nut" are mutually exclusive. Especially if you live out here in the west. It's possible if you camp/hunt/backpack/travel to be in a position where you might have to be your own law, just like the cowboys. Not so much in the city anymore, but I spend a lot of time away from home. And you're right. The right is WAY nuttier at this point.

    ReplyDelete