Tuesday, December 6, 2011

KUTV2 News Sucks Now That's It's Number One

And I'll tell you why.  I started my college career as a communications major.  Wanted to do news.  Newspaper, radio (which was a legitimate option at that point in 1977) or TV.  I spent a couple of years doing news for KUER at the, "U".  We were the five minute lead in for a new show they were carrying, "All Things Considered" for NPR.

And I learned alot about the news business in those two years.  I had a professor who was also a columnist for the LA Times call me into her office one day and told me, "You can't write, and you can't spell, and you really need to find something else to do."  And in the manual typewriter days, long before spell check, she was right.  And she also was responsible for my 23 year career in law enforcement that made me the most decorated officer in the history of Adult Probation And Parole.  She did me a favor.

And I learned that even in radio, you needed a face for TV to get a job.  I had a face for radio, so it became obviously apparent that I had no future in broadcast journalism.  And since I was already told I couldn't write and I couldn't spell?  I went with the Sociology Degree, and an emphasis in Criminology and a minor in psych.  And it served me well.  Still does.

My kids have NEVER been successful at lying to me.  I'm good.

So, now, I'm TOO cynical of broadcast journalism.  And I'm glad that KUTV is doing well, and beating the locally owned, MORMON owned, KSL that is so busy reporting positive, Mormon stories, to the detriment of REAL news.  But, this leads to other problems.

The amount of commercials is now, totally out of control!  If you keep track, they run commercials for the four minutes they sign off at 5:26, right after the weather, which is the ONLY thing most folks tune into local news for, until the National News starts at 5:30.

They do that at the end of their 4:30 newscast too. 

And they don't do, news, weather and sports.  They do news, weather and JAZZ!  That's all they cover and then they tell you they will tell you more sports on the channel those of us who are advanced enough to have DirectTV, don't get!  And on top of that, the last minute of the, "alleged" sports, is some commercial for a biker ride, or fund raiser for someone!  WTF?

They are sneaking in ANOTHER commercial!  This would NOT work if we were all as smart as we think we are.  So viewers?  Start reevaluating your selection.

And I can't end this rant without commenting on, Lindsey, "What NOT To Wear" Storrs!.  She's a competent, even great, "weather guesser".  With impeccable credentials.  But she is what, Chelsea Handler would call, "A hot mess"!

Lindsey?  1995 called and wants it's hair cut back!  And who is picking out your clothes!

I risk sounding like a Gay Guy from, "Queer Eye For The Straight Newscaster" but for crying out loud!  You dress like shit!  TOO many angles, TOO much drama!  You look like a woman from a 1930's film nor, but just a little more, "festive"!

Tonight, the woman had on a dress that had a collar that looked like she had some sort of a medical instrument around her head and neck.  Like she'd had a bad fall.

I know, she went to tsds, so she's not going to put on a tight sweater, and that's not what I'm saying at all.  It's just that the woman has such BAD taste in clothing, and hair cuts that I have a hard time believing that she could get this job at any OTHER market in America!

And most of the time, her jackets are SO tight, her mike pack on her back sticks out like a HUGE tumor.  She is a total mess.

So, KUTV, cover some hockey, give us some sports on channels we can actually get, and cut out about four minutes of commercials at the start and end of each newscast, and since your #1, CHARGE MORE FOR THE ONES YOU DO SELL!  Don't sell more!  You're making yourself unwatchable.

And I've been picked by Arbitron, at random, THREE times in the last 20 years.  And if they pick me THIS year?  You're going down.  I killed the trucking two hours on, Outlaw Country Satellite Radio two years ago, by just filling out my form, and my family's forms and sending them in.  Act accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment