Tuesday, July 17, 2012

It's The Final Countdown To Cuba: Part Deaux

We fly out on Wednesday morning.  We will go to Miami for four days.  I want my son to see Miami Beach.  My wife wants to go BACK to Miami Beach.

I want my son to see the Everglades.  My wife would probably rather spend another day on Miami Beach, but she's a sport and knows how this is important.  That we show our son a different perspective on the world.  Some place he might never get to see again.

And being blind?  She's the one with The Golden Eagle Passport that gets us into that National Park free.

When you are spending almost $20K on the trip?  Every, "Twenty Bucks" helps.

Today, all the errands for Mom.  Keys made for neighbors?  Check.  Key made for the, "I've fallen and I can't get up" lock box on the back of the house?  Check.

And errands I had to run.  My fat ass needed some new, khaki slacks.  It appears we will have to dress like grown ups at least ONE night for dinner.

But I don't have enough weight limit on the luggage to pack a pair of shoes I'll wear once.  So it will be khaki's and sandals.

And this is funny.  KUER sent out a message that they had hundreds of baseballs donated by the, "U's" baseball team and, The Bees, that they wanted us to come up to the station to pick up and hand out to Cuban kids.  Great idea, right?

Well, the tour company has told us that they will only accept one bag of 44 pounds or less (which is six pounds, and another bag, less than Delta lets you have on international flights) and you can only have ONE carry on.  Or you will have to pay a dollar a pound, in cash for every pound over 44 you are.  And, two dollars for an extra carry on.

Baseballs weigh, what?  8 Oz's?  Eight is a pound. 16?  I'm taking my lap top, leaving the baseballs behind.

KUER, nice.  Nice gesture.  I LOVE the idea.  But  YOU get those baseballs to Miami?  And I'll put them in my pockets to take to Cuba.  Otherwise?  I'm thinking you didn't really think this through.

I think I might go ahead and take the computer.  I haven't decided, and won't until Wednesday morning.  I really want to have it in Florida.

At least.

I'm pretty sure this my last trip to Cuba.  Hope it's not my sons first and only.

I went to the Credit Union today to get some cash.  I guess we have to have a LOT of it in Cuba to get in and out of the country.  Cashed a brokerage firm check for $3K.  And tried to keep in as small of bills I could.

Ester at at Mountain America Credit Union in Murray is awesome.  She broke it all down for me in what I needed.  Mostly small bills. 

So, Tuesday is the day I will be filling the shampoo bottle, checking the shaving kit, putting clothes in the bag and getting ready to leave.

I hope it's as amazing for my son, and it is exhausting me.  Not to mention what Deb is dealing with.

These, "Epic" trips every year?  Are getting old.  I think it's time to look into a trailer, or a cabin.  I've SEEN the world.  Like some of it.  Like the Caribbean best.  Like Tucson.  Like Utah Mountains and desert.  Might like to stay here more.

Just thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment