Sunday, July 8, 2012

Was It God? Or Karma? Or Just A Shitty Day?

Yesterday, I made a joke on Facebook about going to the Cathedral downtown for Alex and Mari's wedding.  And how the holy water didn't boil, and the lightning didn't strike when the atheist went in the front door.  Ha, ha.

Well, this morning I am awakened by a call from the Rehab Center where my mom is recovering from surgery last week, and they have sent her back to the hospital in an ambulance, because she is having trouble breathing.  That's not good.

We go to the hospital, and I'll make a long story short, she has blood clots in both of her lungs, and has been readmitted, and is in the Pulmonary ICU.

Then, I come home and my neighbor, Ernie is pissed off at me.  And I don't blame him.  He should be.

Last night, since we had that 7 hours of soaking rain on Thursday, I let Danny shoot off all the fireworks his mom had bought for him, since we couldn't on the 4th.  We were in the no fireworks zone Murray City imposed on the 4th.  Even though it was just barely, I didn't want to be the guy who burned up the Parkway, so I told him no.

I might still have been doing something illegal, but with all that rain?  I kind of figured we were OK.  I'm always careful.  Take the hose out to the street with us.

But last night, we had one go horribly wrong.  One of the one's that goes WAY up in the air (and yes, it was bought here in Utah, so it was legal) tipped over.  Pointing at us.  One of the balls shot right between me and my daughter.  We were diving for cover.  I found the ball in front of the new garage this morning.  It was the size of a squash ball, and had four opening in it.  It would have hurt you pretty bad if it hit you.

Another one shot into the front planter at Ernie's house, and I hit it with the hose right away, so it was not problem.  But the next one appeared to shoot over to the west side of his house.  I ran over there with a flashlight, and couldn't find anything, so it must have gone out.

What I didn't know until this morning, when Ernie let me know, was that it hit the top of his pickup truck that was parked in his driveway.  Oops.  I felt like a jerk.  Ernie went off on me, and he should.  But I told him I'd take care of it.

I gave him a car wash coupon for Prompt Car Wash and their, "Ultimate Elite" car wash that my mom had given me for Father's Day.  And told him that if the mark didn't wash off after that, he should go to the body shop we both use, Marv's Auto Body and tell Jim to repaint it, and I'll pay the bill. 

This bad stuff all happens before noon.

But, the day got better.  Phil and Jim showed up for Dog Day.  And later, my friend, Dorian came over with her new puppy.  She had a baby two weeks ago and looks great.  It was so good to see her.  I bet I hadn't seen her face to face in a year.

She said her husband said he would stay home with the baby and she should get out of the house since it had been about month since she had.  So we got to meet, Ruby the new Basset Hound and hang out for a while.

But maybe, just maybe I shouldn't joke around about church.
And if any of you think I really mean that last statement?  You don't know me that well.  This blog is supposed to make you laugh most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment