Saturday, April 2, 2011

Daniel Stickley Will Score Goals For Food

Saturday morning at 0800 hours, my son's soccer team had a scrimmage with the boy's U18 team from Murray. Of course him and his two buddies who slept in the basement last night, slept through their alarms, and at eight o'clock, he's frantically waking me to drive them to Willow Pond Park so they won't be late.

Which as a good father, I rolled out of bed, put some clothes on, and did. Then I came back home and went back to sleep. I did NOT retire to get up at 0800 on a Saturday morning!

But the second scrimmage, at 1000 hours was the interesting one. They were going up against the girls a couple of years older than them. They have been doing this for years, since they were about ten years old. And there are enough older sister, younger brother combo's in these games that the girls will give the boys no quarter. They beat on their own younger brothers, and all their brother's friends that they know. And there is still enough of a size difference, the girls are all a foot taller than the boys, that these are really close contests.

This morning, the game was tied. Near the end, his coach had pulled, Danny out to give him a break. He was pretty gassed. I was really giving my son a hard time for ALMOST getting beaten down the side line by a pretty girl in a Justin Bieber t-shirt who was a foot taller than him, when he asked if I'd take him and a couple of his buddies out to breakfast at Village Inn after they were done.

I fell for this last week. I took him, two of his teammates and Deb and I to the VI and you know how teenagers can eat. Cost me $65! I had a Garden Skillet and a glass of water, so do the math.

I told him I'd be happy to take them out for burgers for lunch. Hell, Crown Burger, In N Out Burger, either one wouldn't be THAT much money.

But he was persistent. Whiny, maybe? So I told him, "OK, if Frank puts you back in, and you score a goal, I'll take you all out for breakfast."

This isn't going to happen in a million years. He likes to play full back, or mid back in Franks system. He CAN score, but he prefers to be a defender, and that's where he plays.

He says, OK, and Frank puts him back in at mid back. I think I'm safe. Fat chance.

About two minutes after he goes back in, he strips the ball from one of the tall girls, and instead of passing forward, he starts to run up the right side of the field. Beats another of the girls, and turns on the afterburners, blows past a couple of the older guys who have stuck around to help the girls, undresses the goalie and deposits the ball in the net. Turns around, points at me and hollars, "You owe me BREAKFAST!"

This morning, his mother didn't come with me so I only had myself and the three boys. I had a skillet and an ice tea. This week my, "bet" only cost me $55! Bonus.

Never bet with teenagers when the pay off is food.

Now, when is he going to move up front and start scoring some goals?

No comments:

Post a Comment