Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's That Time Of The Year, Again

Spring time in the Rockies. You gotta love it. Since the new hospital opened a few years ago, some things have changed down here by the river in Murray.

When the helicopters go over the house moving east/west it's just, Life Flight. When they go over going north/south? More than once. Or a lot? One of two things have happend. In the spring time, like now it USUALLY means someone or someones kid, has fallen in the river. And it's not going to end well.

But ALL year, it COULD be that the Cops are looking for someone who is hiding on the Parkway.

That happened just a few minutes ago. So I'm sitting at my computer table with a loaded, Ruger .357 Magnum, stainless steel pistol sitting on it. The dog has not barked, so I'm pretty sure there is no one outside MY house, but I'd rather be ready than sorry.

And now, we have the threat of floods. Well, WE don't. We live on the high side of the river. In the 500 year flood plane. My friends on the West side of the Jordan River? Not so much. They could get clobbered. They live in the 100 year flood plane.

I remember it flooding in 1983. Admittedly, not 100 years ago. But still it was not good. The property that is now Taylorsville's Dog Park was under water and it was then the home of KRSP radio and it's directional antennas. They were in water, too.

Today, at this house I saw snow, rain, snow grains, hail, sunshine, snow grains blowing sideways. At one point this afternoon, I went out to put a yogurt container in the recycle can in complete sunshine with no wind. By the time I went back in the house and walked to the back of it to let the dog out, we had dark clouds and blowing snow!

It's spring time in the Rockies! If you don't like the weather? Stick around for five minutes and it will change for you.

Snowbird Ski Resort got two feet of snow last night. Putting them at 690 inches for the year. A new record. That's less than a half hour drive from my house, here next to the river, at the lowest point in the valley. About, 4K feet above sea level.

I'm sure my relatives in West Virginia are now having a problem with their state being, "The Mountain State" since the highest point in the whole state is not 4K feet ASL (Above Sea Level. What did you think I meant?).

The noises have stopped outside. The helicopters are gone. I think I can put, "The Hand Cannon" away, back in the gun safe, and just go to bed.

But, I'm glad I stayed up to watch the playoffs.

Next week could be a problem. "The Blind Lady I Live With" grew up around, San Jose and even though she doesn't give a flying fuck at a rolling donut about hockey, and sat through WAY too many games I played in when we were dating and first married, and has even bought me tickets to see my Redwings on the road for birthday presents. She will STILL hope, "HER", "Sharkies" beat my, Redwings. And so it goes.

A week from now, we will both be sitting on a beach, Playa Norta, on Isla Mujeres. Taking in the sun, reading a book and drinking pina coladas two for one when they ring the bell at the bar at 3 o'clock every afternoon.

I'll check the hockey scores on line. Because I just can't help myself. But three nights of Texas singer/songwriters, and the sun and time that we spend doing what the hell ever we want instead of what we HAVE to do? It's going to be priceless.

Hope it doesn't flood here. But if it does? Both kids can swim. And grandma sitll lives WAY above the river, and I know she'll take them and the dog in. And the neighbors dog, too.

Spring time in the Rockies. What a trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment