Friday, April 1, 2011

Selling Lumber

I went to Lowe's today to buy the filter that goes in the microwave. It was $32. And they want me to replace this once a year or MORE?

But the cost wasn't what really got to me. I bought that ONE item. That's it. No light bulbs, battery's, bug spray. Nothing else. Paid with my debit card. My recipt was 21 and a quarter inches long!

They don't sell enough lumber to keep Boise Cascade in the tree planting business already, they have to make every receipt longer than the box the product you bought comes in?

At least a fourth of that space was devoted to telling me that although they admit no guilt, they had recently settled a class action law suit for selling defective drywall. And if I thought I had been wronged, I only had a month to make a claim and be eligible for from $50 to $100K in gift cards or cash.

I'm pretty sure you would have to be Ivory Homes to qualify for the $100K. That would be a LOT of drywall. But since I haven't bought drywall since before my daughter was born and I was building a nursery, I ignored it. That was 23 years ago.

But really, a 21 inch long recepit? I feel sorry for their cashiers. They must have to change the roll in their machine every third or fourth customer! "Oops! Sorry sir, this will only take a minute. OFFICE PRODUCTS TO CHECK OUT 5, PLEASE!"

I know I don't have to do this anymore, because by the time I get home, every trasaction done on my debit card is already on the bank statement on line. But I still put the debit card receipts in my wallet so I remember to write them in my checkbook. Between Lowe's and Harmon's who also puts WAY too much information on their recipts, my wallet can get thick in a week.

And speaking of checkbooks. I haven't carried one around for about 15 years and yesterday, I actually needed one! I went to the country clerk's office to renew my son's passport, and you had write a check to Fed's for THEIR part of the fees! Good thing there was a Mountain America Credit Union office in the county complex so I could get a cashier's check or I would have had to go home and come back!

I just put the Lowe's recipt on a two wheel cart and took it out to the recycle bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment