Sunday, November 29, 2009

Don't crucifiy, Max Hall. But he's still a dumbass.

Poor, Max Hall. Wins a big game, redeems himself from last year's six turnover loss to, Utah. Then shoots his mouth off, and ends up all over the news. He used the word, "hate". That's awful! Except, I HATE, BYU, too! So I understand where he's coming from. And my wife is a BYU alumni! Yes, Ute fans, I married a, "BYU Co-ed". And I'm ok with that.

The kid with the crappy, Mormon hair cut, and the jug ears, just like the basketball player from last year, Cummard, I think his name was? They both look like the guy on the porch, playing the banjo in, "Deliverance", don't they? Is using the, "H" word. Oh, my, Goodness!

Give him a break. He's a college kid. He's not old enough to know better. He said what he was thinking, so good for him. He joins the legion of people from, "But You're Uneducated" who have said stupid stuff after a Utah/tsds game. Remember, Lenny Gomes? "They are low class losers! When I'm making fifty grand a year, they'll be pumping my gas!" And that was after we BEAT them!

Low class? Your opinion. But, "losers"? We just BEAT your ass!

But I expect nothing less from BYU fans, players, students, hell, ANYONE associated with that place. Remember a few years ago when the President of the, "University" said the flags the cheerleaders where running around the stadium should be banned because they cause fights? No. Your students who can't control themselves, run out of the stands, and attack cheerleaders with flags, should be banned!

I have more experience in college football stadiums than anyone you know, trust me. And there is one thing that is a constant. Some fans will be assholes. They will get drunk, and students will get drunk, and even the ones who don't drink, will say dumb stuff that when they get older, they will wish they didn't say. And do stuff they wish they had not done. And they will wish they had acted in the spirit of sportsmanship, instead of like jerks. Max Hall is a jerk, but he's not any worse than anyone else.

Deb and I have been to many, many college football stadiums. Mostly because she wants to see a city we have never been to, and I want to see a football game she can't see. But she's a good sport.

And in the Mountain West Conference, the worst fans are at, Colorado State. Total assholes, without exception. A classless college for cow punchers and future Veterinarians, and nothing more.

The worst fans ever, are at CSU or, Arizona State. When walking into ASU's stadium in 1990, with my 3 year old daughter on my shoulders, their fans were yelling, "Utah Sucks!" in my face, since I couldn't punch them as I was holding a kid.

San Diego State's fan's are idiots. The few of them that there are. That school just doesn't need an athletic program, they need a school. It's awful.

New Mexico's fans are also jerks, but again, there are not too many of them.

Wyoming's fan's get a bad rap. Most of them are great people. They are glad you made the trip to Laramie. In 1986, my friend, Phil and I made the trip to, Laramie and our Utes lost 66-7 (I think. It was ugly) And I walked into a bar/liquor store to buy some beer since we were going to pick up a pizza at, Little Caesar's and just go back to our Motel 6 room and watch college football that night, before driving home on Sunday.

I had on my Utah shirt, and a guy in the bar yells at me, "HEY! You from Utah!?". And I'm thinking, oh shit, here we go, I'm getting into a fight. So I say, "Yeah. I'm from, Utah." And to my surprise, he reaches out to shake my hand, and says, "You must feel terrible. Can I buy you a drink?" Good people in Wyoming. I've had people there want to fight, but when they do (mostly kids), the grown ups always step between us. Good folks in, "Wyo".

And the best experience's we have had have been back east. In Louisville, we were walking out after beating them a few years ago, and an older, Black woman, walking with her son helping her, like I was helping, Deb who was walking with her white cane, tapped, Deb on the shoulder and said, "We're not glad you won, but we're sure glad you come! Enjoy, Louisville."

And in Michigan last year, it was unbelievable. They were remodeling their stadium, so they had to stop people from going in a few times, to let the crowds clear. After all, 108,000 people in one place, takes a little time to get in.

We are standing at the gate, and not even the drunken students have said a bad word to us. It's all, "Thanks for coming", and, "I can't believe you guys came all this way for a game!" And they start to close the gate on, Deb and her white cane. A REALLY drunk, Michigan student starts to get pissed. She jumps up in front of, Deb, and starts putting her finger in the chest of the Security Guard, and, while trying not to spill her beer, is yelling at him, "You, CAN NOT push a BLIND woman back out! What are you thinking!?" Well, she made her point. Deb and I got inside the gate to wait for the crowd to thin out.

After the game, there were two guys, older than me, in their Michigan shirts, standing at the base of the stairs where the Ute fans came out, shaking hands with everyone, and saying, "Congratulations on your win. Thank you for coming. And don't let anyone you know go to Ohio State."

Really? They were that cool? Yes they were. Not the pompous jerks we heard they were. I guess I should expect it in, Ann Arbor. A town with 114,000 people, and 60 book stores. Smart people.

So give, Max Hall a break. He didn't say anything we haven't all thought. He's still a jerk, but he's young, and he'll learn. Or not.

Hey, Max! We HATE YOU, TOO! Maybe someday, the football team down there will have a University to be proud of (but, I really, doubt it. That school sucks for all the religious reasons and firing professors for thinking). And your fans are every bit as nasty as ours. Live with it. Jerk.

You might feel good about your win yesterday. But because of your defeat last year, and the six turnovers, you will never play in the NFL.

Feel the, HATE, kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment