Sunday, May 8, 2011

First World Refugee, Day 3. Shitfaced And Sunburned

I haven't seen it yet, since it's dark. But I can FEEL it. Now. Now that it's late in the night, and the concerts are over and the booze is starting to wear off. So I'm trying to put what little booze I have left in me so it won't hurt QUITE so much when I go to bed. It still hurts despite a 3500 peso bar bill (relax, that's only $35 bucks in USD).

I put on 30+ sunscreen before we went to the beach this afternoon. I KNEW what I was in for, and I'm so WHITE I could blind folks when I take off my shirt. But when you don't get up until 11:30, and lunch is breakfast, and you have two beers instead of orange juice, and then take two beers out of the fridge to the beach, and while you're standing there talking to the guys you came down here to see sing for an hour, and then go buy FOUR beers in a bucket, and you drink THOSE while talking to the nice young couple you shared a table with last night, and you're not really UNDER the water as much as IN the water. Well, shit happens.

And Lisa has SUCH a pretty smile. I just can't wait until I get home and can share a picture of her and her husband at tonights concert with you...

So by the time we came back to the condo to take a shower and get dressed for tonights concert, I had drank 8 beers and at least one glass of rum. Might have been two. I came back to call my mom and wish her a happy mothers day from Mexico, and chances are, I refilled that glass.

So, yeah, today I spent most of it standing up to my neck in The Caribbean, drinking beer. I usually, now that I'm old, can't finish TWO beers. But today, I drank eight of them. THEN went to concert in a bar. Pina coladas? Yep. Two of those. For ME. One for Deb. Then, double Anjeo' on the rocks. Two, or was it four? For ME. Deb was drinking a Diet Coke by this time. And a bottle of augua puerifcata.

And the boys were SINGING! They were awesome. Mark Mulligan brang an old friend of his over to our table and asked if he could sit with us. Sure. His name was Rudy, and he is a journalist who now writes for, "The USA Today" out of Cancun! I had a great time talking to him. Even smoked a cigarette with him, and I quit those ten years ago. He was a great guy. I should have asked his last name, but at the time? It just didn't seem important.

While I was getting shitfaced and sun burned this afternoon, I was talking to a nice lady from Florida out in the ocean. She was really interested in our trip to Cuba and wants to go there, so I gave her some advice. We had a nice conversation for about an hour. While it appears, I was FRYING!.

I spent some time, as it appears, FRYING talking to Kelly, Mark and James while standing in the ocean. But it was time well spent.

Now, I might have to pay the price in the morning. But at least I didn't sun burn my FEET! Every time we come down here, I do that and the rest of the week sucks because all my shoes hurt my feet. Not this time. My feet are great. The entire, rest of me? Not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment