Saturday, May 7, 2011

First World Refugee, Day Three

I called on Apple today to see why I can't do chat or post pictures to the blog or FB. To their credit, they did call me right back, but the fix they offered (I should quit listening to my kids who have iPODS and, iTOUCH'S and not install any, "APPS" for them on my iPad) only let me delete a quick connect to FB, but it didn't solve the problem. Still can't send you a picture or post any to FB. I have a feeling this problem won't solve itself until I'm back in SLC. And when it does, I promise to post a LOT of pictures.

That being said, today was a pretty good day. Since we were up all night with our new friends, we slept in all morning! I finally rolled my ass out of bed about 11:30 local time and we went to breakfast at noon.

After breakfast, Deb went to the beach. I went into town. I had to find her some band aids for her foot since her sandle repair is rubbing her wrong. Get some more rum, and change some more money into Mexican money. Since this is stll the one place in the world where THEIR money is worth less than OUR money. God only knows why. Got two out of three.

The, "Super Express Mercado" in the middle of town, which is the only real, grocery store in town has a pharmacia in front, and they had bandages. The Pharmasist spoke better English than I did. She was very helpful. Then I bought the rum, had a case of, augua purificada delivered to the condo and went looking to change some money.

From our previous trips here, I knew there was a Combia, or money changer, right around the corner from the, "Super Mercado" on the walking street. But it was closed. I asked the nice young girl in the store behind it why it was closed, and she didn't speak enough English to help me, and I didn't speak enough Spanish to know what the fuck she was telling me. But I understood, "He's closed". When I asked her, "For today, or for how long? Can I come back later?".

"He's closed". Big smile. "Muches Gracias, Seniorita." And I left. I walked the three or four blocks back to the condo and didn't see another Combia! The first two times we were here, they were on EVERY corner. I think. And since it's Saturday, the couple of banks on the island are closed.

Thats not all bad. After all, the exchange rate at the Combia is 10.95 Pesos for one USD. If you have American dollars at the bar, or the restaurant, they will exchange it for 10/1, meaning you get ten pesos for a dollar. In the LONG run, if you're exchanging THOUSANDS of dollars at one time? You might be better off at the Combia. If you can't get there, and want a beer? You're losing 9 tenths of a dollar on the deal. Gas still sells for whatever and 9/10 of a dollar. Mexico is a better deal, even if you don't exchange your money at a Combia, than buying gas in the US.

Spent the afternoon swimming in the, "Carib" and the water was great. I had forgotten about the translucent, skinny fish that frequent this beach, but they were cool to see.

And then, when I was through, I came back to the condo, and smoked a Cuban Cigar, while drinking Mexican rum and listening to, Radio Margaritaville on the patio and screwing around with Facebook.

Later, went less than 100 yards away to listen to the guys we came to see (man, I WISH I could post pictures on this) and spent about four hours hanging around with them and listening to them play. What a great evening.

Beach music, beach music, all through the night...

To quote, Buffett.

Isla Mueres is about as awesome a place as you can spend your time. If you have the time to spend.

One of Mark's songs tonight was, "I Came For The Weekend (25 Years Ago)".

Oh, I can see THAT happening for, Deb and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment