Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Long Day Rewarded

It's now a quarter to 12 Mountain Time. But not where I am right now. I'm living on Central Daylight Time for the next week. And it wasn't easy to get here.

We left Salt Lake this morning at 0100 hours. Otherwise known as one o'clock Thursday morning. So that meant staying up all night on Wednesday, and hoping that once the plane was airborne, you could catch some sleep. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

We got to Atlanta at six thirty THEIR time. And then had three hours to kill. Breakfast at McDonalds in the airport, and I had enough time to figure out what my kid did to my new iPad, so I could download the app to get sirius/xm radio on it. Good thing. I might have killed him when I get home otherwise. I bought the damn thing to I could do THIS from HERE and still listen to radio on line. It's working, but I can't do it from inside the condo. I have to sit on the patio. But it could be worse.

It's 86 degrees, and I'm listening to the waves crash into, Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres, Quintana Roo, Mexico. If I was to stand up, I could see, Cancun from my patio. It was a 20 minute ferry ride from there this afternoon.

So, as Deb and I were watching the sunset over the Yucatan tonight, standing on one of THE best beaches in the world, toes in the sand, drink in our hand, talking to Texas singer/songwriter, Kelly McGuire, the long hours in the plane, siting in airports, and having to be up for 24 hours plus was kind of worth it. And for the next six days? We get to do that every day.

It's still 86 degrees here. I've rented a golf cart for the next 24 hours. So we can go to the store and lay in supplies and tomorrow? We're going to drive around the island. Because it's not the same island we first discovered in 1999. This place has been DEVELOPED!

When we were first here, the light house outside our room was the highest thing on the island. Now? Not so much. I honestly thought that when it left the dock, we were on the wrong ferry. We could't be heading to MY isla Mujeres! There were no high rise hotels on MY, "Isla"!

But here we are. And it's different, but sort of the same. The folks are friendly. The food is awesome. The views are spectacular.

And I'm not just talking about the beach and water. While Deb and I were standing on the beach talking to, Kelly three beautiful, young girls came out of the water. Topless. Oh, yeah! I'd forgotten about THAT being common down here. Deb didn't see it, and wouldn't have cared anyway. Oh, Isla. Just when you think it's going to change for the worst, it shows you that it hasn't changed much after all.

Tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday, concerts on the beach. It's going to be great.

So for, Deb, the cancer worries, tests, endococpy's to come, problems with her mother are all something thousands of miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment