Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Never Argue With A Blind Woman

I picked up the iPad the day before we left, so I didn't have much time to get to know it, and i made the mistake of letting my son fool around with it before we left. So by Thursday morning in the Atlanta Airport, I can't find what I need. Can't listen to the radio, can't do email, I'm getting very flustered. I guess I was making my displeasure known when Deb says, "let me see it". Yeah, right. I CAN see and I can't find it, and you want me to hand it over to you so you can spend 45 minutes with it, only to tell me that you can't see anything? I don't think so.

Same thing tonight. We picked a little Cuban restaurant on the street that they block off so cars can't come down it, and it runs the length of the town. After I sit down, I say to, Deb, I guess I better find out if we can use a card here, or if I need to go get some cash." She agrees. Which she rarely does. After all, we've been married for 26 years, so that's just the norm, isn't it.

All I had to do was stand up and turn around, and there were two, "We Prefer Your VISA card" signs. One hanging from the ceiling, the other one stuck to the desk where the cash register is. So, I tell her this and that we can relax.

She says, "You better ask anyway." WHY! Why would I DO that? Is the sign some sort of a plot (It's a Cuban restaurant, so I guess that would make it a COMMUNIST plot! Like fluoride, or making sure poor people get health care) to lure us into his place with promises of easy payment, and then when we finish the lobster, inform us that we will now be forced to bring back our firstborn and have her enslaved making mojito's for the rest of her life?

Thats what I'm THINKING. But what I say is, "The signs are there, I just didn't see them when we came in. It's fine".

The guy comes to take our order, and the first words out of her mouth, I shit you not, "Do you take credit cards?"

WTF!? Am I making stuff up to tell her? Do I secretly hope that I can use going to the cash machine to ditch her in Isla Mujeres, take the next ferry to Cancun and disappear into the night. Never to be heard from again? What is, in the name of all that's holy, in it for me to LIE to her about the Visa Card sign!?

Welcome to my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment