Friday, April 27, 2012

Let's Talk About The Word, "Nigger". Since It's Come Up Again

Defending Stanley Cup Champions, the Boston Bruins got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round the other night.  Seventh game overtime, as exciting as playoff hockey can get.  They lost to the Washington Capitals, and the guy who scored the winning goal for them was a Canadian, who's parents are from Barbados.

I'm not going to give you his name, because it doesn't matter.  You can find it on any of the links I've put on my Facebook page.  And it's not about him.  It's about what he is.

The people of Boston did not fill Twitter, or the streets of their town, or their arena with shouts of, "Fuck that Canuck!"  They filled those places with shouts of, "Fuck that NIGGER!"
This coming on the heals of their Cup winning goalie of last year, Tim Thomas, refusing to meet with President Obama last year in the traditional meet with the President any sports team winning a league title in this country has at The White House.  After all, Mr. Thomas is a, "Teabagger", and he has his principles.

He was the only AMERICAN on the team, bye the way.  He's from Michigan.  Everyone else on the team is from Canada or Europe.

He spent 20 years playing in the minor leagues around this country and in Europe before getting his shot with the Bruins and proving he's good enough to win a Cup.  sounds like the American dream of working hard and pulling yourself up by your boot straps (or skate laces) to me.  But after that?

So in this day and age, we still have to deal with white, New Englanders, tossing out the word, Nigger?  Really, Boston?  I would have thought you had gotten over that by now.

It's pretty much decided after that HBO documentary that you didn't win a World Series for as long as you didn't, because you wouldn't draft Black guys.

You REALLY showed your true colors with the busing riot thing.

When I was there a few years ago, I rented a condo in Roxbury.  Had no idea that was where you keep your Black people.  They always treated me and my family well.  Never felt threatened or nervous.  But I never saw another white person in Roxbury, or a Black one in Boston, proper.

Now, I understand that you love your team.  Original six, old time hockey, and all that.  And that it was always played by white guys from Canada or the Northern part of the USA where we kept our ice and our prep schools, and Ivy League Colleges.  At least until Willey O'Ree in the 50's.

But times have changed.  We have a melting pot of a country now, even more than we had from 1891 to 1953 when Ellis Island was open.  The guy who's goal beat you was probably descended from slaves.  In BARBADOS, not even this country.  And you call him a Nigger?

Look, I have mixed feelings about the word, "Nigger".  I find it offensive, and I get it that Black people want to own it.  White guys like me can't use it.  In public.

BUT!  As long as Black comedians can use it as an honorific for their friends?  And Chris Rock can tell a joke that starts, "I love me some Black People..."  But ends, "When I go to a cash machine at night in Los Angeles, I'm worried about, NIGGERS!"  You have to give us white folks some lee way on when it is and isn't appropriate, OK?

The use of it in Boston this week was NOT appropriate at all.  It was racist.  Or as they would say in Boston, "Wicked, bad Racist".

Boston, you suck.  You deserve the hate of the whole country right now.  That was awful.  Yeah, you were the original, "Tea Partiers", and you didn't spawn this current, "Teabagger" mess.  But you're keeping it alive.

You elected, Mormon, "moderate", Mitt Romney Governor.  He gave you a public health care, Gay marriage and a lot of other moderate, even Liberal positions.  But you still hate the, Niggers?  And you still use that word this freely?

Boy.  It's going to be interesting to see who your state votes for this fall.  Flip Flop, "local boy" and Mormon, Romney.  Or what you would call, based on your hockey fans reactions the other night, "The Nigger"?

I'm starting to understand why everyone else in New England calls you guys, "Massholes".  Because I like Lexington and Concord, and Salem.  But I'll never go back to Boston.  Fenway Park is a dump, and you folks are racist jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment