Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Trip Back To West Valley City

Today was my daughter's birthday.  She wanted to go to, The Cracker Barrel for dinner.  A reasonable request.  She learned early from her father, a Chicken Fried Steak done well, is a good thing.

The Cracker Barrel around here is in West Valley.

And some of you know that from sometime in the early 1990's until I retired in 2006, with a few exceptions for short assignments elsewhere, mostly related to Leo Lucy's incredible ego, and lack of intellect, and Brent Cardall's lack of a spine,  I was THE Parole Agent covering the area from 2100 South to 4700 S, and 3600 West to the mountains.  So, west, West Valley and Magna.

I once had a Regional Administrator ask to go on a ride along with me one night.  He liked to keep in touch with what was going on with his Agents.  And we stopped for a break late one night.  I was still smoking, and wanted a cold drink while I burned one down.  And in a 7-11 parking lot, in his Boston accent, and gravelly voice, he asked me, "Stickley, you have enough seniority, you could request any part of the valley, and get moved.  Why you want to work in, "Death Valley"?"

I told him, "This is where the bandits are, Dick."  He understood.  I didn't want to be bored to death with stupid misdemeanor, Probation cases.  I wanted some action.  And I got it in West Valley and Magna.

Probably also gave me bladder cancer from all the meth labs.  But that's arguable.

But since I retired in 2006, I don't find a lot of reasons to go out there any more.  And the city has changed.  Phil Markham took over their Public Works Department and fixed every thing wrong with the place.

Kidding.  Even HE couldn't do that.

So tonight, I made the trip to West Valley, to eat in a restaurant where there will be WAY too many overweight folks, badly dressed and holding spoons and forks like they were trying to dig out of prison with them, instead of eat.

But they make a heck of a meatloaf.  And the green beans taste just like my Grandmother's.  After all, I AM from West Virginia.  They are way overcooked, and there is some bacon grease somewhere in there.  They're awesome.

I came down 22 West from 5400 South, thinking about all the houses and apartments I passed that I had been in over the years.  Bandits move, and you help other Agents out.  I've been in places all over the valley.

When I round the corner by the Mexican restaurant right by 3500 south, I am confronted by the windows of a Rent To Own place with a giant picture of, Donald Trump yelling, "You're Fired" at a picture of Barack Obama, and it says, "Bring jobs back to America.  Mitt Romney..."  The bottom of the last panel is torn off.

Wow.  The rent to own place that is right next to a place where you can RENT TO OWN TIRES AND WHEELS!  So, if you're so poor, you can't BUY your furniture, TV or even your 22 inch spinners and low profile tires you want to put on your 98 Saturn?  THESE guys will RENT them to you.  And they have political signs up to promote a millionaire business man?  Makes perfect sense.

I'm pretty sure, Mitt rents to own tires on his wife's two Cadillac's.  I mean, what millionaire DOESN'T rent to own his stuff, at usury interest rates?  Happens all the time.  And if you do so with us?  You can be rich too!

This is the perfect example of what is wrong with this country.  The rich, have convinced the poor, who use rent to own, and check cashing businesses, and pawn shops instead of banks and credit unions for financial transactions, that rich people like, Mitt Romney have the poor's best interest at heart!  And it's bullshit!

West Valley is full of those people.  Love their guns, will spend thousands of dollars to buy a 4X4 off road vehicle and thousands more for a trailer to haul it so they can deer hunt.  But think their boss is a spoiled, elitist, rich guy when he buys a ten year old Porsche Boxster, that cost less than the 4X4 and trailer.  Well, he DID pay cash.  Snob.

So West Valley City folks?  Many of you are good, hard working, decent people.  But if YOUR wife doesn't have a Cadillac on each coast?  If you don't have a car elevator?  If you think Barack Obama is the reason your life isn't perfect?  And for the love of all that's holy, you have to use a rent to own place to get your tires or your TV?  And you're still considering voting for Mitt Romney?

I guess you deserve to live in West Valley City.  Cause you're not too bright.  And how's that County Mayor thing working out for your boy, Mayor Burwash?  Just askin...

No comments:

Post a Comment