Monday, September 3, 2012

My Labor Day

It's Labor Day, and I worked 23 years in Law Enforcement.  I've earned it.  I slept in.

Then, after Deb got up to go spend time with her mom, who is, "circling the drain" at age 89, I got up.  Took a long bike ride (it's taken a year after the cancer surgeries to do this, but this is the second one in a week.  Small progress).  Came home, drank a bottle of ice tea and read the paper.  Took a long, hot shower and decided to go get a sandwich somewhere, and I was going to go visit my mother in law.

My son went to see his soccer team play, even though he has a broken ankle, and can't play, he wanted to be there to support his Murray Boys in Davis County.  My daughter is happy watching TV in the basement.

I get in, "The Bitchin' Camaro" and the dash informs me, my right rear tire is flat.  Well, that sucks.

Now I have a dilemma.  I want people who work for a living to have, Labor Day off.  But I need people who work for a living to be working, or I can't dive my Camaro.

It's not really that bad.  I have the Audi to drive.  And after all, I'm just looking to go somewhere and get a BLT or a Tuna Sandwich, and come home.

But for just a minute, I'm thinking, "Oh shit.  If this story gets out?  Everyone is going to say that I'm like, Mitt!  I'm an elitist, who doesn't have a clue about how real people live!  And they will have an argument!"

The, "driver" comes back into the house and says, "I'm sorry, Mr. Stickley, the muscle car has a flat tire.  Would you like me bring around the high performance, German, luxury car for you?"

Yep.  I would.  Oh.  That is SO wrong.

Truth be told?  My first thought was, "Oh, shit.  Costco doesn't fix tires they didn't sell."  And that was wrong, cause ALL our other cars have Costco tires on them.  But this one.  Still, dealer tires on the Camaro.

I bet, Mitt can't say that.

Then I thought about Big O tires, which has fixed a few flats for me, since the Camaro has DEALER tires, and they have NO warranty.

I came in and got on the net, and Big O was closed.

Good for THEM!  Labor day!  Your people SHOULD have the day off!

And now, what?

Google.  Sears Tire And Automotive is open today.  Said they could fix a flat in an hour.

I drive to Fashion Place.  I walk to Red Rock to have a sandwich and an ice tea, cause Sears says they can fix it in an hour.  Bullshit.

Two hours later, and $28 it's fixed.  $28 for a flat repair?  That's a bit much, I think.

But, I found guys who Labor for a living, who fixed my car, on Labor Day.

I bet they don't belong to a Union.  Or they would have had the day off.  Just sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment