Friday, July 29, 2011

"The Bubble", Day Two

Orem is a long way off.  And I don't mean that as a joke, it's just about 45 minutes from here.  And I had to have the boys down there at 9 in the morning.  I don't like getting up early.  I didn't retire, to get up early.  But I did it.

Down the luge run that is the freeway down there during construction.  The Customs folks in Lehi just waived me through.  I guess I fooled them last night and they remembered the car.  You would think they would have at least checked the trunk for books!

The first game was kind of a blow out.  I don't know who the boys played, but the final score was 4-1, and it wasn't that close.  And, Danny's friend, Trenton had the game winning goal!

Then it was off to the University Mall for lunch in the food court.  The boys all sat together and the Park City Parents invited us to sit with them.  They have been awesome.  Very accepting, really made us feel at home.  And after lunch, the boys and most of the parents went to see a movie.  But, Deb and I had other plans.

I know it's hard to believe, but my wife went to school at, "That School Down South".  And she hadn't been back much in the last 35 years, and has been wanting to go see it again, while she can still see a little.  So we drove over there.

She didn't recognize much.  She could see the stadium, and knew the Marriott Center.  But the whole campus is torn up!  I've never seen so much construction in such a small area!

She wanted to get out and walk around on campus for a while, but we couldn't find a parking place!  There must have been a conference, or convention there today, because all the visitor lots were full and wouldn't let you in.

I really did want her to get to do this, but I have to admit.  It didn't break my heart.  The last time I was on that campus was for a debate meet my senior year in high school and I got thrown out of the student union at lunch time for having long hair.  And I was wearing a suit and a tie at the time.

I have a concealed carry permit, as a retired LEO, and I use it.  Mostly when I travel.  And being an Atheist, left wing, Liberal, Democrat in a bright orange Camaro with, "U of U" plates, I planned ahead and brought a gun with me to Utah County.  Figured I might have some trouble in, "Glennbeckistan", just wanted to be prepared.

My holster broke.  I never, even in my wildest dreams expected THIS to be a problem.  I'm pretty sure 99% of the population feels the same way.

But as I was explaining to one of the other, "soccer moms" today, I put a lot of people in jail over the years, and I won't remember all of them.  But I'm pretty sure if I put you in jail, you will remember me!  So when I'm out of my comfort zone, for what ever reason, I'm usually, "packed". 

So now, I'm in Utah County with a little .38 in an in the pants holster, hanging on by a thread because the plastic clip on the holster broke when I put it back in my pants after using the restroom at lunch time.

Good thing I'm in, "Glennbeckistan", there's a gun shop on every other corner!  Not five minutes from the mall, I find a suitable replacement and I'm on my way!

Back to the fields for the second game at 5:15.  Much tougher game.  But the boys win 2-1 and will have to be back in the morning for the championship game against the team that beat them on Thursday night.  And I think we're going to win.  We gave up a fluke goal late in the game on Thursday, and I have a feeling that's not going to happen this time.

Back to, "The Bubble" day 3.  Man, I never thought I'd EVER have to spend 3 days in that place.  I should get a, "Father of The Year" award for this!

No comments:

Post a Comment