Friday, July 1, 2011

We Were On The Edge Of The Desert...

In the middle of nowhere, in the middle of the night, a soccer tournament is going on this week.  At the Desert Peaks Recreation Facility in Tooele County, just a stone throw from the Miller Motor Sports Park, The Utah Fire Museum and tons and tons of old nerve gas, my son and his boys are playing soccer at night to beat the heat.

I don't know about the heat, but it's beating me.  I got home last night and tonight at midnight.  And now that they have won the first two games (2-1, 4-1 and it wasn't that close) they have to play at ten o'clock in the morning!  Thanks for all the sleep between games.  And what happened to playing at night to beat the heat?

Got that covered.  If they win the next two?  The last one will start at 2300 hours on Saturday night!  My son kicks off a half an hour after Saturday Night Live!  This is so, sick and wrong.

At Thursday nights games, one of the, "other soccer moms" said, "Wow.  This place is in the middle of nowhere!"  I said, "Yes it is.  That's why we keep our nerve gas here."

But say what you will about Tooele County.  And it might very well be the most polluted place in the country with all the stuff we dump in it.  But the facilities are first class.  Rarely do our boys get to play on grass this good outside of Murray.  Actually it's better than ours.  We have acidic water down by the river.

And to all the parents joy, they have enough port a potties, parking and there is a place to get a cold drink.  The games start on time, and at least so far, unlike in Davis County, it appears that a team from outside of Tooele County might get a fare shake and be able to win this sucker.  So my hat is off to them.

Now if I can just figure out how to get some sleep this weekend.  I have to up in seven hours and on the road in eight.  And I still smell like Deep Woods Off.  The bugs out there are awful.

But out there?  They might be mini-drones being tested by the Army in an effort to get terrorists in the middle east.  So maybe I shouldn't swat them.  They might go off!

No comments:

Post a Comment