Wednesday, July 20, 2011

House Concert. "Trop Rock" In Murray, September 11.

This guy is going to play my back yard on Sunday, September 11 at five o'clock.  His name is Kelly McGuire, and he's a Texas singer/songwriter with part of his soul in Belize.  I guess, Jimmy Buffett would say, he has a Caribbean Soul he can barely control.  But it will be a night of songs about boats, and islands and all things tropical.  I hope I get lots of friends here, because it will be a wonderful time.  And by the time he's through, if you never thought you wanted to go to Belize, you will.

Still trying to get in touch with, David "Fudley" Harris to see if he'll sit in on the steel drums.  That would add to the festivities.

Let me explain how a house concert works, so everyone who comes knows up front.  I am NOT going to make a penny on this deal.  I am providing a venue, and picking, Kelly up a the airport and taking him back, and I've arranged lodging for him.  But I'm doing this to give a friend a way to expand his musical footprint, maybe sell a few CD's, and share one of my favorite performers with more of my friends.

He pays his own way here, and we will collect money at the show to cover his travel expenses.  The suggested donation is $20 per person.  But give what you can.  And when he takes an intermission, and you are chatting him up over a beer, buy a CD.  His assistant sent me some information that if they can get 20 to 40 folks to chip in $20, it will cover his expenses to get here.

I think Murray folks will do that.  He's flying over here from Denver before he goes home to Houston, just to do this show.

This is not a Jimmy Buffett Cover act, so don't expect to hear, Margaritaville.  You will be hearing, Kelly McGuire songs (and some of them will be ABOUT, Jimmy Buffett, because his music has influenced, Kelly.  Blame It On Buffett, and, Who Wouldn't Want To Be Buffett (either Warren or the other one) will probably be rolled out).  This is original music in the, "Trop Rock" vein.  And you're going to love it.

If you have been to San Pedro, you will see yourself in his music.  From Chan Hole to BC's palapa bar music jam on a Sunday afternoon, he'll cover it all.  If you haven't, you will want to go when he's done.

Since I don't know how many people are going to be here, I'm not planning on food or drink.  So feel free to BYOB (bottle, NOT boat!) or even a picnic dinner, I have a big enough yard to spread out a blanket and enjoy the show.

Now, a word about children.  I love to see kids exposed to live music.  Especially this kind of live music.  So bring them.  And if they are under 18, don't pay $20 for them, either.  I want to encourage this behavior. 

But that being said, this is all about the music, so no climbing the trees, or running around the backyard or yelling and screaming.  Can we all agree on that?  I'd hate to have all the work I've put into this made an unpleasant experience by too many distractions.

My friend, Jeff Evans of Salt Lake's most popular local band, Insatiable, has generously offered to provide a sound system for us, so even though I live by 5400, you will be able to hear the music.

The show will start at five o'clock and be done in plenty of time for you to go home so you can go to sleep, and go to work the next morning.

Deb and I were lucky enough to meet, Kelly a couple of years ago in Belize when we were there to see, Jerry Jeff Walker.  We were staying at Ramon's Village, and some folks we met there convinced us to come and see him at a beach bar, and we really liked what we heard.  So when the opportunity came to see him in Mexico, on one of our favorite islands this May, we took it.  And after some preliminary emails, that's where the idea for a show here really came together.

So if you are reading this, please come and enjoy a little bit of the Tropics, while we head toward fall in Utah.  And, Kelly is hoping to do a little mountain biking in Park City while he's here for an extra day, so if any of you have suggestions (I'm talking to YOU, Ron Huggins!) let him know.

And let me know if you can come, I'd like to have a rough number to give, Kelly before he gets here.

"...Trailing a light in my wake, you'll find me, by the choices you make.."  Kelly McGuire.

No comments:

Post a Comment