Friday, February 5, 2010

Geaux, Saints!

As my friends know, I don't usually give a hoot about PRO football. I prefer the college game. And I'm sure, Indianapolis is a fine town, full of wonderful people. And the Colts are a MACHINE! And they have the best quarterback in football. But this weekend, I'm rooting against them.

Because last years trip to, NOLA, for the Sugar bowl, "Bitch slap" of Alabama, and the whole, corrupt, BCS system by the Utes, convinced me that New Orleans is one of the finest cities anywhere.

I have done a little traveling, as you all know. DC, San Francisco, LA, Minneapolis, Havana, Detroit, Miami, Chicago, London, Paris, New York, Moab. I've seen em' all. And I have to say that as much as I was totally impressed by a week spent in New York City (and, white pizza! Awesome!) the only place I experienced a sense of awe like the first time I looked at Paris was in NOLA. It's old, next to the new. Exotic, yet comfortable. I felt totally at home there, but still in a strange, new world.

It sure isn't Salt Lake City when you come out of your hotel at nine in the morning, and a bunch of guys dressed like, Larry The Cable Guy walk by you with Bud Light's in hand and raise their beers to greet you with, "Roll Tide!"

Well, that kind of WAS, SLC during the Olympics, but it's gone back to usual now.

Anyway, It's a great town, and it's not too full of itself. Touring the town and seeing the destruction from, Katrina really brought that disaster, and the failure of the, Bush Administration home. I felt for those folks a lot more than, "Shrub" ever did.

Saturday night, the day after the Sugar bowl, Deb and I went to a restaurant on 8th and Canal, called, Mandina's. Old wood, lots of brass, no checks or credit cards and awesome food. We were wearing our, Utah shirts and there were two older couples at a table next to us and they came over and one of the gentlemen said to us, as he shook our hands, "We're real glad you all won last night and beat, Lou Saben. And how the hell did you find out about THIS place?" It was an awesome moment.

I told him I had an acquaintance that was originally from NOLA, and had advised us to go there (and several other places, that he forgot to advise me I needed a coat and tie to enjoy. Next time for sure) and had told me about Cafe DuMond, and Abita beer. Nice folks. But everyone in NOLA is nice!

So, at least for this weekend, this college football fan is a Saints fan. And for the people of New Orleans, this would mean a lot. I hope they get it. Geaux, Saints!

Oh, and, "Good bye, Lou, better get back quick to, Alabama. Ain't no love lost for you, in, Louisiana..., Them, Utes done kicked your ass, down on the, Bayou..." The BCS STILL sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment