Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Retarded

Yesterday, Sarah Palin lost her mind, and called for, the, President's top advisor to resign because he used the word, "Retarded". Dispite the fact that she has, in the past, used the same word, to discribe her own child.

My friend, Barb Guy who writes for the, Tribune called for us all to quit using the word, Retarded in her column last Sunday.

When I was growing up, in the 60's and 70's (as was, Rham Emmanual), "Retarded" was the GOOD word for those folks! It used to be, "Mongoloyd".

I remember while doing an internship at, KUER at the University of Utah about the time NPR came into being, around 1978, a co-worker with a, "disabled"/"Mentally Challenged"/"Developmentally disabled" younger brother coming in late one day and saying, "Sorry I'm late, I was at camp with the, "tards and loids" this afternoon." And no one said anything about it. After all, it was HIS little brother. Who were, WE to question what he called them?

Now? Handicapped? Developmentally disabled? What's appropriate? My 21 year old daughter is Autistic. Can't get a job, doesn't have friends, but can drive her blind, mother around. Is she, developmentally disabled? Or just a wierd, socially maladjusted kid? I'm asking, I don't know?

Black People chose what we called them, after we quit calling them, "niggers", which for some strange reason, they WON'T quit calling themselves! Negro, Black, African American. What ever you want, I'll call you that if I have to discribe you other than to say, "My friend..." and just give your name, where your race isn't really pertinant.

I want a world where it doesn't matter. But as a former, COP, there are times when I had to say, "The suspect is AWM/ABM/ALM" (Adult, White, Male; Adult, Black, Male; Adult, Latino, Male for those of you not paying attention to life) because it's IMPORTANT to us catching the, "bad guy"!

Then, Rush Limbaugh goes on a rant about, "RETARDS!" Says it four times. Is, retards, BETTER than, retarded? Is it less offensive? See, "Tards and Loids" above. I'm betting not.

Sarah Pailin has NOT spoken out against him. Yet. Come on, Sarah! Let him have it! I can't wait.

Ain't going to happen. Because, Sarah Pailin is retarded! Sorry, Barb. I'm for keeping the word, because it's SO discriptive of people who are not suffering from any kind of a mental disorder, but just think so wrongly that they are like, Sarah Pailin.

Disabled can cover everyone from the mentally disabled, to my wife, who's losing her sight, and my daughter who's Autistic. Retarded is a good word for those who WON'T learn, dispite the ABILITY to. Like, Sarah Pailin, and all the, Republicans in the Congress and Senate.

2 comments:

  1. Jeff, you are a delight! Nice blog! We must get together for a mojito soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back at ya, Barb! I'm going to, Grenada next week. But keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete