Saturday, February 6, 2010

Is that a REAL fire?

I'm officially, "Old". I hit 51 last Christmas Day, and now it's starting to come home. My son's soccer teammates parents are, mostly, 15 years younger than, Deb and I. I have tried to watch, "Saturday Night Live" the last two weeks, and don't find it funny. I prefer to spend my nights at home, and haven't been in a bar, at least in this town, for I don't know how many years.

I'm old. I'm also OK with it.

Tonight, my son had one of his friends over, and they were playing video games in the basement until I drove them up to another, "Soccer Head's" house for a while. And as we were leaving, his buddy looked hard at the fireplace in the living room, and actually said to me, "Is that a REAL fire? You can't tell any more with fires on computer screens and stuff!"

Blew me away. I've had a similar experience, though. We took our daughter to, Disney World in 1995. And after a few days, I could not tell if I was hearing, "Disney birds", or real birds all day. "Disney frogs", or real frogs, at night. But, real fire, is WARM!

Then again, if you stand close enough to a big, plasma, TV, it kicks off some heat, too. So I guess I could be up in the night.

I ran into an old friend today at a soccer work out session. He has a son younger than mine! And when he introduced him to me, he actually told the kid, "This is the goalie who stopped two PK's when we beat, Orem our senior year!" That was the best game, I ever played, in any sport. We beat them 1-3 at Murray Park, and they had won 39 games in a row! I once played a hockey game where I scored 4 goals, but the beating of, Orem was the best. It made my day. And I was glad my son was there to hear it.

Of course, what he remembered, and asked me about was, "Why did your friend, Allen call you, "Tiny"?" Probably because I'm OLD, and a lot bigger than I was when I could play soccer for a high school team! Kids.

Bruce Springsteen was SO right when he did, "Glory Days". The older I get, the better I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment