Saturday, April 24, 2010

County Convention.

Went to the Democratic County Convention today. Civic duty, and all that crap. But I have some friends who are running, one unopposed, one in a run off. So, since it's usually pretty easy to become a delegate (this is the 3rd time I've done it) I decided to go.

Greg Skordos is a friend. He's one of the first Prosecutors I met as a young PO, and he was always very helpful. He didn't win today, but I went to vote for him, anyway.

I was surprised at how many people I knew there. Old friends from college, my neighbors girlfriend, folks from my neighborhood, friends of friends, one of the kids on my son's soccer team's father is a Legislator. I guess I HAVE been hanging out with the right people all along.

But this process is boring. And it takes too long, and before I knew the results of the vote, I had to leave for my son's soccer game. This thing should start at noon, and be done by four o'clock! The State one is in a few weeks. I hope it moves faster.

Many years ago, when I lived in West Jordan, I went to the caucus with a guy who was my partner at the time at work, and lived in the same neighborhood. We both became Democratic delegates. A few years latter, he's running for, Sheriff as an, "R". Either have some convictions or don't. He lost big time. Serves him right.

Get involved in the political process. I don't care if you're an, "R" or a, "D". Just do something. It's easy, and it only takes a couple of days of your time. And you can have in impact. At this level, your vote REALLY counts! I went one for two today, Holly Mullen moved on. I feel bad for my friend, Greg, but I'm convinced that, Sim Gill will do a fine job as DA. But, I got to participate in the process at a level better than just giving candidates money, or voting in the general elections. And I feel good about the way I spent my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment